Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Perfect diesel swap?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect diesel swap?

I have been wanting to do a diesel swap for a while. I want to put a 24 valve cummins into an f150. I have thought about it a lot and when I am done I want a regular cab and short bed for better maneuverability when off-roading, lifted with 35s, manual and of course the diesel with a nice stack.

I was thinking a 95 is best becuase they don't need to be plugged into a computer for inspection in New York. Anything from that generation is good though. 4x4 is a must and I am thonomh it would be easier if it was stick from the factory since I would not have to add a clutch, but I'm not sure.

I could do a 4bt but I don't know what had those, and where I could get one. The 4bt bolts to the m5r2 and to the original engine mounts from what I have read. I have read that they shake a lot though? I might just do the 24 valve since aftermarket parts are probably cheaper since they are very commonly modified. If I did the 4bt do you guys think the Mazda tranny would even hold up to the diesel? I know that it wouldn't hold up to a 24 valve, so I would either do a zf5 or a dodge manual tranny (I don't know the model or name) along with the 6bt.

My buddy is putting a 24 valve into his 97 f250 and is selling the 7.3 out of it. Of course it wouldn't be as fun or cool to put a ford engine into a ford truck... But what do you think of that?

Any other opinions and suggestions?
Old 09-21-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

I have heard that m5od handles the 4bt fine and the 4bt comes in the bread trucks, frito lay, wonder bread, ect. i want to swap a 4bt into mine because I already have the engine but i have had a lack of funds todo so sense im paying for collage at the moment
Old 09-21-2014, 11:00 PM

this is exactly what im thinking
Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan313
I have been wanting to do a diesel swap for a while. I want to put a 24 valve cummins into an f150. I have thought about it a lot and when I am done I want a 95 regular cab and short bed, lifted with 35s, manual, 4x4, and of course the diesel with a nice stack.

I believe you have the ability to read my mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The local scrap metal guy has an 89 f350 with a swapped in 6Bt ,
he used the dodge trans and hydroboost power brakes from an IDI truck,
he says it was an easy swap. He put in a one inch body lift to clear the back of the valve cover on the cummins, but he says if he did it again he would cut the cab. Stock 5.8 springs are holding up the front end just fine, and he has put over a half million miles on the truck.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 PM

I hate having this motor and being to much of a chicken to pull the trigger on the swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perfect diesel swap?