Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Passenger side axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passenger side axle removal

'94 F150 4x4
I'm a newbie here, and have been searching for past posts, but haven't found my complete answer. I'm doing my ball joints/u-joint replacements.
I have the right side hub disassembled and spindle off.
And want to remove the right side axle shaft in one assembly.
Does it just pop out of the diff? or do I have to separate it at the slider spline?
Some posts talk about a clip inside the diff holding it in and separating it at the slider spline. If so, how do you replace the inner U-joint if needed?

If that inner u-joint is okay, I'm cool with leaving it in--I guess. Don't really want to open up the diff.

Tom
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only way to pull it is to open the differential and remove a clip. If the inner u-joint is okay, I'd leave it too.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rtg143
The only way to pull it is to open the differential and remove a clip. If the inner u-joint is okay, I'd leave it too.
I found out myself, the standard way is to remove the clip from the boot and pull the slider apart. Very easy. Guy I talked to said the middle U-joint rarely needs replacing.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Default right side axle shaft

my right side axle shaft with two u-joints the inner one is seased up how do i get it out of the differential 1994 f-150 4x4
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joelight
my right side axle shaft with two u-joints the inner one is seased up how do i get it out of the differential 1994 f-150 4x4
Remove the left axle, cut the binding band on the right slider remove the outer axle. Remove the bolts holding the third member in and remove third member. You can then remove the u-joint without removing the stub from the third member if you have a press, otherwise you will have to remove the pins and then the clip to remove the axle.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Default right side axle shaft

all ready have outer axle shaft out and changed u-joint but the inner one next to the housing is the problem and looks like no easy way to get it out so i can change the u-joint is there an easy trick to this. thank you.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM

all ready have outer axle shaft out and changed u-joint but the inner one next to the housing is the problem and looks like no easy way to get it out so i can change the u-joint is there an easy trick to this. thank you.
No though if you have a u-joint ball joint press you may be able to snake it out without dropping the diff.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Default axle shaft removal

thank you for you help.I`m going to have to drop the differential, I have a u-joint ball joint installer but not enough room to work it in there. just hope I can find a u-joint with grease fitting don`t wont to do this for a long time.again thank you, this is an awsome site. 1994 XLT F-150
Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM

thank you for you help.I`m going to have to drop the differential, I have a u-joint ball joint installer but not enough room to work it in there. just hope I can find a u-joint with grease fitting don`t wont to do this for a long time.again thank you, this is an awsome site. 1994 XLT F-150
Good luck with that, there is not enough room for the fitting to be on the yolk of the joint and there is not enough clearance to have a zerk on the end of the cap. The zerks on the end of the cap will hit the axle housing and break off letting all the grease out and letting dirt in killing the joint that much quicker.

Quick Reply: Passenger side axle removal