Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Parts help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts help

Looking at replacing some parts on my 91 f150 5.0. Just wanted some help on what parts to get off rock auto.

-IAC
-PCV
-Radiator
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-TPS

The distributor looks like it has been replaced at some point. Not sure if i should touch it. She cranks up fine, just the MPG's are terrible and she just seems to run a little rough.

Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated, just beginning to get my hands dirty in this.

thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TeddFoxx
Looking at replacing some parts on my 91 f150 5.0. Just wanted some help on what parts to get off rock auto.

-IAC
-PCV
-Radiator
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-TPS

The distributor looks like it has been replaced at some point. Not sure if i should touch it. She cranks up fine, just the MPG's are terrible and she just seems to run a little rough.

Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated, just beginning to get my hands dirty in this.

thanks
My opinion:
-IAC - Delphi or Motorcraft

-PCV - Motorcraft or nothing

-Radiator - TYC

-Spark Plugs - Autolite or Motorcraft (plain copper core)

-Spark Plug Wires - Autolite professional, Belden, Airtex/Wells or honestly whatever your favorite brand is.

-TPS - Airtex/Wells, Delphi or Motorcraft
Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your help. So stay away from Platinum plugs?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by qdeezie
My opinion:
-IAC - Delphi or Motorcraft

-PCV - Motorcraft or nothing

-Radiator - TYC

-Spark Plugs - Autolite or Motorcraft (plain copper core)

-Spark Plug Wires - Autolite professional, Belden, Airtex/Wells or honestly whatever your favorite brand is.

-TPS - Airtex/Wells, Delphi or Motorcraft
I agree with everything but would say stick with Motorcraft for the TPS as well. I had an Airtex unit that was giving me issues until I swapped for the MC version. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Don't really "need" platinum with these engines, that being said I have AC Delco rapidfire (copper core/platinum tip), got a good deal on them and they are supposed to last longer as well as not expand the gap as bad as straight copper, and have had no issues.

If your PCV rattles when you shake it you don't need a new one.

For a little more MPG:

Check the bearings of your pulleys, remove belt and spin each one, should be no resistance on pulley only or noise on components pulleys. A little bit of drag can cost you power/mpg.

Efan conversion will gain a couple mpg.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
If your PCV rattles when you shake it you don't need a new one.
To the OP, assuming it's a Motorcraft, this works. If it's not a Motorcraft, toss it and get a Motorcraft.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah the radiator needs to be replaced, and while I'm in there just going to change out the other parts. It needs new plugs and wires, so probably replace the cap and rotor too. Probably the coil as well. After all they are 23 years old...some of the parts that is...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

If you have a little bit of extra cash you would be wise to replace the vacuum lines with some silicone hoses, got mine from siliconeintakes.com and can't say a bad thing about them. To just do the small hoses it takes ~20 feet of 4mm hose, pull the boot with the old line and they just slide onto the nipples. If you want to do all of them get the engine dress up kit + 10-12ft of extra 4mm hose. The plastic vacuum lines are notorious for cracking and become very brittle over time.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
If you have a little bit of extra cash you would be wise to replace the vacuum lines with some silicone hoses, got mine from siliconeintakes.com and can't say a bad thing about them. To just do the small hoses it takes ~20 feet of 4mm hose, pull the boot with the old line and they just slide onto the nipples. If you want to do all of them get the engine dress up kit + 10-12ft of extra 4mm hose. The plastic vacuum lines are notorious for cracking and become very brittle over time.
+1
Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 AM

I haven't looked at all of them, but I noticed some looked like they have been replaced. I'll look in to it.

Quick Reply: Parts help