Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Parking Brake cable connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake cable connection

Hello to all. New guy here in Florida with another question about my 95
F-150 4.9 I6. The parking brake is no longer functioning. I can look under the dash next to the parking brake and see the end of the parking brake cable. It is not attached to the parking brake mechanism. It appears the cable has came loose from the foot operated brake mechanism. Is there a diagram or procedure that shows how to reconnect the end of the cable to the mechanism? I know this seems like a simple question but I can not locate where the end of the cable attaches to the foot brake mechanism.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

if it hasnt been used in a while and there looks like rust on the cable under the truck DONT use it...

if the cable came off or was intentionally taken off there must be a reason...if you hook it up and use it and it doesnt release...guess what...you aint going nowhere until you get it released....most times involves destroying something...like the drum and/or backing plate to remove the spreader bar...

if you are concerned...take the rear tires and drums off and then hook up the cable and try it and see if it works or not..easier to unhook the brake arm if the drum is off if it doesnt work...lube the cable as well if you can...
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Remember to get it fixed, though, before inspection, or they'll just look at you and say, "Your parking brake doesn't work. Sorry."
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scott51
Hello to all. New guy here in Florida with another question about my 95
F-150 4.9 I6. The parking brake is no longer functioning. I can look under the dash next to the parking brake and see the end of the parking brake cable. It is not attached to the parking brake mechanism. It appears the cable has came loose from the foot operated brake mechanism. Is there a diagram or procedure that shows how to reconnect the end of the cable to the mechanism? I know this seems like a simple question but I can not locate where the end of the cable attaches to the foot brake mechanism.
Thanks for the help.
If you take the pedal assembly off of the sidewall (remove three nuts to do it), you will be able to get a good look at where the end of that cable fits. Is the little cylinder still on the end of the cable? On the pedal mechanism, inside, you should be able to see a little hole the size of the cylinder on one side, and a groove on the other side. One side of the cylinder goes in the hole, the other side goes in the groove, and the cable goes up a little channel between them.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

First of all, there's no inspections in Florida. Second, this thread is a year old so I would hope he's done fixing it.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mecham
If you take the pedal assembly off of the sidewall (remove three nuts to do it), you will be able to get a good look at where the end of that cable fits. Is the little cylinder still on the end of the cable? On the pedal mechanism, inside, you should be able to see a little hole the size of the cylinder on one side, and a groove on the other side. One side of the cylinder goes in the hole, the other side goes in the groove, and the cable goes up a little channel between them.
Does anyone have picture of the hole the cable goes into.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mecham
Any pics of the area?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Parking Brake cable connection