Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Overheating 302?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 302?

Howdy, I just purchased a 1989 F-150 with the 302 and was told it over heats because of a bad headgasket. I started the truck with the radiator topped off and drove the truck for about 10 minutes then it started to overheat. I shut the truck off and immediately the coolant filled and poured out of the overflow tank and all over my garage floor. Soooo, why would the coolant pour out after I shut the truck off and not before?
I pulled the thermostat and it works properly. I looked at the head where the PO said it leaks and it was dry. I am stumped by this, maybe it's the water pump?

Help a Brother out
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
My girlfriend is white.

The reason the radiator over flows when you shut it off is because the water heats up more because it's not circulating anymore. It expands from the heat of the engine block then overflows.

The truck is getting kind of old and may need the radiator roded out. Or buy a new one. The tubes can get clogged really bad on old trucks.

It's not the water pump because they dump water out of them when they go bad.

Another thing is to buy a kit from the Snap On tool man that shows exhaust gases in the cooling system. I had this problem one time with a cracked head and it told me the truth.

Are you a black neggro like me? I ask because you said "Help a Brother out."

Last edited by CaptainWaifers; 08-01-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainWaifers
Are you a black neggro like me? I ask because you said "Help a Brother out."
Nah, I said that because I feel we are all part of a large extended family.

Thanks for all of the info I will check them out ASAP.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

What kind of shape is the radiator cap in? An unpressurized system has a much lower boiling point than a pressurized system - IIRC, a 50/50 mix of coolant will boil at about 227degF unpressurized, and 267degF under 15psi pressure.

Suggest if the head gasket were leaking, may see air bubbles percolating in the coolant recovery tank, as the cap relieves the pressure build-up caused by the air/exhaust gases being pushed into the coolant system.

Your radiator may have its flow restricted, as CaptainWaifers said. Be sure the thermostatic clutch on the radiator fan is working properly - give the fan a good spin (with the engine off, of course) - shouldn't see it freewheel more than 1/2-1 turn. Also be sure the radiator doesn't have any significant external airflow restrictions, such as bugs or debris.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Today I warmed the truck up real good and observed bubbles percolating in the coolant recovery tank, so I guess that answers that question. I will keep you all informed with the findings.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM

I FINALLY removed the heads today and confirmed the bad gasket. I will clean them up and make sure they are true.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Inspect the heads very carefully for cracks.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While you are at it check to make sure you don't have the aluminum housing for the thermostat, if you do replace it with a the steel version.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a machine shop check for cracks in the head between valve seats. With valves removed, cracks are the most evident. A valve job and head surfacing is in order at this time, money well spent with no regrets later. Don't recall if a newbie or not, this is a Ford not a GM. GM mechanics are air heads and won't follow instructions. The head gaskets on a Ford V-8 are interchangeable left or right as is a GM. Its front to back that is the key to remember. The water passage from block to head is at the back of the engine, notice the large passages in the gasket at the opposite end of where it says FRONT. Ford puts that there for the mechanics who can read, not saying GM mechanics can't, BUT! Don't normally like to stir things up.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM

I called around and found a local guy who will magnaflux and pressure check for cracks, 3 angle valve job, and resurface for $300 bucks.

Is this a good deal?

Quick Reply: Overheating 302?