Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil Pressure Sending Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sending Switch Question

The existing oil pressure sending switch was leaking like crazy and spraying oil everywhere. I have the gauge with the needle over the word NORMAL and it's always had the needle between the M and A.

I put a new one in today and seems to work fine; however, the needle is now between the R and M. I understand it's still in the "normal" range, but is this any cause for concern?

Is it just that a new switch reads different with the needle? I'll be driving it all day tomorrow and will be curious to see if it stays in that same position. Prior to today, that needle never ever got off the M & A spot.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It's an electric sending unit. Oil pressure is the same as it was, it's just sending a slightly different signal to indicate the exact same thing. That should now be your new position on the gauge.
The following users liked this post:
Leaf_Chaser (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, you're right. Drove it all day today about 100+ miles and making a dozen or so stops & starts. The needle stayed on the "R" in NORMAL all day and didn't hardly budge much at all. That's the "new" position :-)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

The oil pressure switch/gauge is a dummy set up. Over 7psi of oil pressure and it'll read on the gauge wherever your needle sits, under 7psi and the gauge in the truck doesn't register.

So you could have 7 psi or 70 psi and the gauge will read the same

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sending Switch Question