Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil pan removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan removal?

Hey guys, the name is Jeremy and Im stuck. Ive googled/searched forums to no avail. I have a 1992 f150 4wd manual trans that the oil pan rusted out of. The front of sump got to the point it was just seeping about 2 qts a week. I began replacement tonight but cant figure out what I need to do to get the clearance I need to get the pan past the front of the trans. The engine mounts are loose and the engine is jacked to the point its contacting the firewall. My Chiltons/Haynes offers nothing helpful either. Please give me a tip to get this job done. Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Did you remove the pickup tube?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM

No because I didn't see it preventing the pan from coming out.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Are my eyes red?

give me a minute, i'll copy and paste from OnDemand for ya

Last edited by 94Bronc; 07-27-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Are my eyes red?

6 cyl: drain engine oil and cooling system. Remove upper intake manifold and throttle body. See INTAKE & EXHAUST MANIFOLDS under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Remove starter. Remove both front engine mount-to-engine mount bracket nuts.
Raise engine and place 1" (25.4 mm) wood blocks between front engine mount insulators and frame brackets. Remove oil pan bolts. Lower pan and remove oil pump bolts and pick-up tube nut. Lower oil pump assembly into pan. Remove pan.
--i doubt you have to remove the intake to the get the clearance, but you might

8 cyl: (edit: 5.0 & 5.8)Remove fan shroud. Remove upper intake manifold. See INTAKE MANIFOLDS under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Remove front engine mount-to-frame nuts. On A/T models, disconnect oil cooler lines from radiator. On all models, disconnect exhaust pipes from exhaust manifold.
Drain engine oil. Support transmission and remove transmission crossmember. Remove oil pan bolts and lower oil pan. Remove oil pump bolts and pick-up tube nut. Lower oil pump assembly into pan. Remove oil pan.
--again probably dont need to remove intake, but i'm not sure. good luck
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM

Thanks a lot 94bronc. I guess I will have to take off the throttle body and intake. I was hoping I didn't have to but I guess it would give me the clearance I need since the engine is jacked to the point the intake is contacting the cowl. Thanks and I'll post what worked.

Quick Reply: Oil pan removal?