Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil leak from back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak from back of engine

Was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on this one. I just finished rebuilding and dropping a new 302 into my 91 f150 with a E40D tranny. I started it up after all the other fluids leaking (waterpump gasket was bad or something) and noticed an oil leak coming from the bell housing of the tranny.

I put it up in the air, pull the tranny and take the oil pan off. I had used a 2 piece rear main seal, when I went to NAPA to pick up a new one they only had 1 piece. I grabbed one, put it in, siliconed the hell out of everything and started it back up. No oil leak for about 10 minutes, when I drove it home after seating the rings (30-80MPH WOT acceleration is fun as hell) and noticed it was leaking again.

I am using 10W30 oil, and put in some break in lubricant that the guy at the machine shop told me to use. The oil does look thin as hell when I drained it after dropping the pan...I'm thinking it might just be due to having really thin (like milk thin) oil.

Any other ideas from where the leak could be coming from?

Also I am LOVING having a new fricken engine in there. The main bearings were shot on the old one...its amazing having oil pressure at idle!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Not sure if you've had a chance to spend some quality time hunting down the oil leak, but I've crushed pan gaskets before and had them leak into/around the bell housing and rear of the pan.

Pulling it all apart again, especially after all the extra effort you put in to sealing it all up, would suck. Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

How the hell did you get a 2 piece seal in there?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
How the hell did you get a 2 piece seal in there?
The gasket kit I had came with a 2 piece instead of a one piece. It fit, and apparently was doing just as good of a job as the 1 piece. New development is that it only leaks when the engine is running.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

is it a 1 piece block or a two piece block?

if it is suposed to be a 1 piece did you use the good seal or the factory cheep one...?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't see how you could have installed a 2 piece seal in a one piece seal block.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from back of engine