Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Offroad and performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad and performance

Hey, everyone! A bit new to the site, but I have some questions. I have a lot of ideas for the truck and want to know if some of them are possible
I have a 1992 4x4 Flareside and I want to change things up on it.
I'm looking for advice on a 6" suspension lift,
also 35" mud tires, but on the original rims, and if it's possible to put a turbo in the truck with the original 302 motor. I heard of something called Exhaust turbos, but don't know anything about them. Here are some pictures on my old glory.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 AM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Good looking truck man
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice truck, I'm not an expert on any of your mod questions but I do know that an exhaust turbo kit would not be ideal if you like to go off roading/mudding. The turbo and air filter are installed under the cab/bed in the exhaust system and then the pressurized air is piped up to the engine. Oil lines are routed all the way to the turbo from the engine. It's more of a street set-up. Off roading would put too much risk of damaging the turbo/oil lines and clogging up the air filter. If your looking for forced induction I would look into a super charger, that way everything stays under the hood. I don't know how fresh your original engine is but keep in mind any time you add forced induction to a slightly worn engine it will finish wearing it out quite quickly.

Last edited by Rusty but trusty; 07-20-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't turbo it unless it's just a weekend driver. You'll need upgraded internals along and it'll take a lot of fab work. Plus it's a lot of money but it would be cool.

I'd do a tune up along with the timing bump, efans and a more free flowing exhaust. That'd be a good start and if you want more look into a stroker kit.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help. Is there anything else I can do to the motor I have to gain more power, torque, and acceleration? I want to be able to step on it and push someone back in their seat for a hot minute. This is my daily driver, but I want to keep the truck for a long time. I don't offroad often, but when I do, I want to be able to power my way through without any issues.

Quick Reply: Offroad and performance