Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Odd dripping sound in 93 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Odd dripping sound in 93 4.9

k so recently I've noticed a dripping sound when I've been driving the truck for a while and park it. I've crawled underneath it, nothing dripping on pavement or under that I can tell, not running the heat or AC, and sound goes away prob about a minute after done driving it. That and it's a fairly loud dripping sound ( well, as loud as that could sound ) but it's definately noticable by me. Is this something to you're guys opinions I should check out further and if so, any ideas what it could be? Sound is coming from engine bay, MAYBE towards right side but I havent been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. Thanks for the help all! :-)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost all of my cars had this sound, and so does my truck (same year and engine as yours). Someone told me long ago where exactly this sound comes from, but i don't remember it now. I've never fixed this issue, because it doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean you have any troubles with your truck.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
Almost all of my cars had this sound, and so does my truck (same year and engine as yours). Someone told me long ago where exactly this sound comes from, but i don't remember it now. I've never fixed this issue, because it doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean you have any troubles with your truck.
Ok cool. Sound doesnt bother me, I just wanted to ensure it wasnt an indication of something possibly about to break or need checked out and since the truck is fairly new to me, didn't know if it was a normal sound. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

One thing you should look into is when Resin core Cat Converters start to become restricted usually from being operated over a period of time in an over rich condition causing incomplete ignition of fuel residue to build up deposits on the combustion chamber surfaces, valve ports , exhaust and eventually fouls the O2 sensor and "Kills your Cat". The #1 reason is making the mistake of using ignition suppression blend formula fuels in low compression rate engines. Compression PSI and compression RATE are commonly confused. 95% of the vehicles on the road are low compression rate and REQUIRES 87 Octane. anything above that will toxify the engine. 1 clue is oil starts to darken sooner between oil changes. The build up in the chamber increases to the point that the C.I. is artificially decreased and the RATE increases to the point that higher octanes are required to avoid ping. To properly ignite higher octanes REQUIRES modifications that are intended to function at a high rate of compression and the moment that the fuel begins and completes ignition become very specific. Lacking aggressive timing advance,super/turbo charging,cam mod, ect.. the aint you. Back to the point, as operating tempincreases with blockage in Cat, the resin core begins to melt. (99% of the time a back pressure condition causes temporary catastrophic engine failure( stalls out). Meet Mr. 1%. Unburned fuel collects in the Cat. and it explodes under the the truck while doing 75 in rush hour traffic. I found the sound and percussion a little over the top, but maybe I'm a bit oversensitive to things like that.
Puts a real Rush in in your rush hour. Breaks the monotony,but may I suggest stopping for a gallon of espresso as a less stress inducing alternative option? Maybe stop by the a muffler shop and have them check the Cat. If she's getting sick, they can change it out and have you back in traffic before your half done with your supersize espresso.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-11-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Odd dripping sound in 93 4.9