Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

O/D light gets into blink mode (w/ hard shifts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/D light gets into blink mode (w/ hard shifts)

I started getting the dreaded blinking O/D light a few weeks ago, seems like it might be getting worse.

1996 F150 4x4 auto w/ 5.8L (351 Windsor) and 232,000 miles.

I "usually" (for the last 5-10 years) press the O/D button in for a little deceleration drag when coasting down slight grades towards stop lights.

Recently, (few weeks ago) I would notice the blinking O/D shortly afterwards (pulling out from the stop light after I turned off the O/D).

So I stopped doing that, and it's "pretty much" stopped doing it. However, last night, while leaving some friends house w/ the GF, and pulling a fairly long semi-steep grade up a mountain, it came on again with the super hard shifts (2->3 shifts?). Had to pull off the side of the road to do a re-start. Also seem to remember having to do the same on the way there.

Ironically, most of last week I had a DTC which cleared that day (yesterday). Stored codes were: P0153 slow O2 sensor, and P0401 Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient. I really don't think they are related.

So... I spend a lot of time searching (including this forum), and read up on a whole bunch of it. Everything from the torque converter, speed sensor on both, back of tranny (didn't know that even existed) and on the pumpkin, to the shift (1-2 ?) solenoid, to a 2-3 accumulator piston (seal?).

But "most" of these articles all addressed vehicles other than the 1996 F-150. I'm not even sure which tranny I have, - does anyone know what would be in a '96 F-150 w/ 5.8L (351 Windsor).

So does anyone have specific input on the blinking O/D light on a 1996 F150 auto with 5.8L, and most likely causes ?

Thanks!
MM3

Quick Reply: O/D light gets into blink mode (w/ hard shifts)