Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No start. Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No start. Solenoid?

I just got back from getting my truck towed. It won't start. When I turn the key, the solenoid makes it's usual single click noise but it won't crank. I release the key and the solenoid clicks again. I've only had the truck for a week and a half and it's done this to me a couple of times before but it always started after a few tries. After looking at the solenoid, it looks like the original so I'm thinking that's the problem. I think it could also be the neutral safety switch too but it behaves the same whether I try to start it in park or neutral. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like the starter. Pull it and have it tested. If you do have to change the solenoid, DO NOT use a parts store solenoid. They are garbage, they stick all the time and the truck won't stop cranking. Since the solenoid is clicking it should still be working.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 AM

I got the starter checked out and it's good. The parts store guy showed me where one of the wires was making a bad connection and arcing on the wire that presses on, not the bolt on ones. He told me to cut the connector off and splice a ring connector on it and bolt it on. He also said its common on these and the new starters come with the stuff to switch it over. I'll see if I can get some pics up so y'all know what I'm talking about. I'm just going to clean it up and tighten it down. Looks like I got by easy on this one!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM

are your battery terminals clean ? gunked up terminals will cause this too. sometimes just resetting the terminals on the post helps. have you checked all the wiring ? on mine it was a spade lug that had lost connection with the wire. simple replace of the crimped spade lug on the small wire solved my prob. hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM

So here is the picture. Sorry it didn't come out very well but you can see the wire I had to splice. There is a ring connector on the end, bolted to the terminal on the starter. I did clean up the other terminals that looked bad so hopefully it works alright. Thanks for the help guys!

Um, the picture won't attach, how do I do that?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Got it
Attached Thumbnails No start. Solenoid?-img_0047.jpg  

Quick Reply: No start. Solenoid?