Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No Spark off ignition coil and no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark off ignition coil and no fuel

Truck is a 2wd 1991 f150 with a 5.0 and automatic trans with dual gas tanks with 140,000 miles.

Having a problem that seems like a bad ground, getting no spark and fuel pump isn't priming. But then it starts after consecutive tries. checked fuses and all the grounds i have ever messed with. any ideas?

here's the story for those who care

any info would be greatly appreciated because i'm out of ideas sorry i'm confusing

I recently Purchased a 91 f150 with a 5.0
I noticed the idle was high and did a vaccum check with a smoke machine and the upper intake manifold was leaking pretty good, so i decided to replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and the valve cover gaskets.

Everything went smooth and it came back together and fired right up. So I drove to the desert and everything was fine on the 120 mile journey. While cruising in a sand wash the truck shuts off.

Checked the ignition coil for spark and was not getting any, tried a new coil and same thing, and I didn't hear the fuel pump priming, towed it back to the road called a truck tried to start it one last time and it fired right up so i drove it home.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM

The no spark issue almost sounds like a bad TFI. It shouldn't affect your fuel pump though. The TFI is still mounted on the distributor on your 91, correct? There, it heat-soaks on the distributor, and cuts out when too hot. Once cooled down, it fires up like no problem. I'd at least check the TFI. Remove it and clean off the old dielectric grease. Replace it with some thermal grease made for a computer's CPU such as this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-008-_-Product
It will keep maximize the heat transfer from the TFI to the Distributor, keeping it cool enough to maintain operation.

Other possibility could be a bad ignition switch, maybe a bad or poorly grounded ECM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=25 Or a PIP sensor (Stator). Do a KOEO (Key on/ engine off) error code scan at the least, & a KOER error code when it's running. Take the TFI off & have it tested. If the injectors aren't triggered, one might assume the fuel pump isn't running. The stator and TFI both share the same grounds and power circuits, when one fails the other might be bad as well.

Last edited by ymeski56; 04-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the advise ill check those out tomorrow and let you guys know. And where would I find the ecm ground? If im not mistaken the ecm is mounted on the driverside under the hood on the firewall?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=25 Or a PIP sensor (Stator). Do a KOEO (Key on/ engine off) error code scan at the least, & a KOER error code when it's running. Take the TFI off & have it tested. If the injectors aren't triggered, one might assume the fuel pump isn't running
Good call on the PIP.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Petern
Thanks for the advise ill check those out tomorrow and let you guys know. And where would I find the ecm ground? If im not mistaken the ecm is mounted on the driverside under the hood on the firewall?
More likely somewhere on the way to the ECM, than at the ECM connector. As I mentioned, the stator and TFI both share the same grounds and power circuits.
It's difficult to tell the difference between the two as far as symptoms. The TFI will rat itself out when bench checked & the PIP, with error code scans. If your TFI is Distrib. mounted, you'll be sorry very soon, if you just deal w/ one at a time instead of just doing them both. But you can try it. I love it when somebody beats the odds. Most of this info's on the link!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by joefriday
Good call on the PIP.
You forgot about the PIP? It's not really an "in your face" kinda part.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, from what I understand the pip(stator) censor is mounted in the distributor, and the tfi is also mounted on the distributor?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Petern
Please forgive my ignorance, from what I understand the pip(stator) censor is mounted in the distributor, and the tfi is also mounted on the distributor?
Yep & yep. Until they realized the TFI faired better mounted remotely on the drivers side fender-well. Not sure what year it was, but they're one place or the other.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM

sounds good thanks for the advice ill give you guys an update with what happens.

Quick Reply: No Spark off ignition coil and no fuel