Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

no spark

Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default no spark fixed

not sure where to look. i am trying to help my dad fix his 95 f150 4.9l/5speed. currently when you turn the key on it sounds like everything powers on like it should but there is no spark. i tried jimmy rigging 1 of my spare coils to his truck and i still couldn't get spark so i have a feeling his coil may be good but i have no clue where else to look on this thing. need to get this thing fixed asap since i am having to lend him one of my vehicles till it is fixed.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just had this very same problem with my 90' f150 302.. you can start by checking cap , rotor, wires, use a spark tester to check each wire. Then go on to using a mutli meter to test you coil its the only way to know for sure I'm not sure if on the straight six if you have an ignition control module bit that would be next step and then it would be the pick up coil next.. my problem emded up being a dead pick up coil inside the distributor. One more thing you can google 4.9 no spark diagnosis and I'm 100% sure therw will be a step by step guide on this. Or just run down to your local parts store and grab a $20 chiltons or haynes repair manual.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Confirm power to coil and the dizzy. If power to coil confirm spark to dizzy. If not replace coil. If so and dizzy has power then just replace dizzy it is almost just as easy.You have to pull it anyway, although I cant remember if it comes with ignition module. I have been through so much with my truck I cant even remember. I could be full of it.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new I bought from spectre was $80 and it came with a new control module. But do keep the original motorcraft one off the old distributor. If the distributor is the problem that is.. A lot of aftermarket Ignition Control Modules are not as well put together as the one from ford itself. I see them go out so much quicker than motorcraft ones.. just a piece of advice always keep the old one on hand if its good.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks everyone. we got the truck running again. i think it just ended up being a broken wire at the coil. we ended up swapping the ignition module and coil onto another truck and the other truck ran but we broke the 1 wire on the coil connector getting the connector out. i fixed it and the truck ran.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no spark