Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No idle after lower intake manifold gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Post No idle after lower intake manifold gasket replacement

I just got done installing new upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on my 90 F150. While installing the upper intake manifold I sprayed the throttle body and IAC out with carb cleaner. When we tried to start it up it just idles for a second then stalls. Also, the truck used to pop right off with no need to give it gas. Now I must work the throttle to get it to start. The fuel pump is running and the truck is timed correctly (or as close as possilbe with a poor idle) at 10* BTDC with the jumper removed. The truck ran 100% before the install so I'm under the impression that I messed something up with the TPS or IAC by blasting it with carb cleaner. The truck runs great above idle, but I must keep my foot on the gas to keep it running (fun with a manual trans). Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...can't be anything too crazy. Are you sure the IAC is plugged in tight? Have you checked for codes?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the throttle linkage put back correctly, or forgot the gasket under the IAC? It just seems like Its something small and easy to miss. Just enough to annoy you. sounds like something I would do! Keep tryin dude, It can't be to bad.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

I hope it's just something simple. I checked the plug and its fully connected. There is a new gasket on the IAC (just checked that earlier too lol). The resistance of the IAC was about 8 ohms, which is supposed to be in spec according to autozones repair guide. I'm wondering if the IAC is stuck closed cause if memory serves me right, when I sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body, no cleaner (or very little) leaked past the butterflies until I opened them manualy. If the IAC is stuck in the closed position the engine would starve for air and die. This project is beginning to be an expensive learning experience Thanks for the quick responses guys!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Does the truck idle on it's own after it gets warmed up? (20-30 seconds)

If not, then the IAC is probably not your problem. It should start and idle with the IAC unplugged. Have you checked to make sure the butterflies are moving? The cleaner might have loosened up some gunk that gelled up again and stuck them shut.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM

No, I drove the truck last night and it won't start or idle on its own hot or cold. I drove it around for about a half an hour last night to get it warmed up and evaporate any carb cleaner left. It runs fine with a little throttle but let off and it sputters and dies. I'm going to try and check the codes tonight after work.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Talking He's fixed!!!

I went out after work to make sure the IAC worked and that the throttle body was clear of gunk. I started the truck and was looking around the engine compartment and had one of those gut fealings (not the kind you have after too many beers). Anyway I thought the vacuum line running to the EGR looked off so I pulled it and the motor smoothed right out and ran great. Turns out I installed the green vacuum line onto the blower box to the right and installed the line to the blower box onto the EGR. Swapped the two lines and now she runs great. Thank you oneFITTYman and aliens8mycow for your help!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM

cheap and easy - just my style!

Quick Reply: No idle after lower intake manifold gasket replacement