Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No fuel pressure on rail

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel pressure on rail

I have an '89 302 fi with dual tanks.. over the last couple of years I've replaced both front and rear tanks and the fuel selector valve.. don't use it very often, but run it to keep it lubed.. all of a sudden, I have no fuel pressure to the fuel rail. It'll start briefly if I give it a shot of fuel or starting fluid, so that's fine...

Just replaced the high pressure pump, as it was original, but still no pressure to the rail.. regulator perhaps? Can I test/bypass it in any way to verify, or any other suggestions before I get a big hammer out? lol

thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
good ol Arizona boy

dont use a big hammer get a huge hammer, the biggest you can hold that fixes everything. lol. Regulators are not that expensive just try it.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, as I search and learn a bit more, it seems the fuel pressure regulator is more like a back pressure regulator, so... not sure if that's the culprit.. when testing the fuel pump signal, I got a brief 12V to the HP pump, then it cuts out.. you can hear a relay, either FP or EEC relay kicking after about a second with the key in the run position, then I lose the voltage to the HP pump.. I haven't tested it with engine cranking, as I need four hands, legs and two heads, but... I did hook up a fresh battery yesterday to get it cranking long enough to ensure oil pressure was up, still no fuel delivery..

Found how to force the pump on, will try that tomorrow after work and see what happens with pressure on the fuel rail, but so far, the best I've seen is a couple drops of fuel from the schrader valve...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there an inline filter you may be missing? Also, make sure there is vacuum to the regulator.

Quick Reply: No fuel pressure on rail