Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No electrical power

New to the forum and advice would be appreciated...1990 F150 5.0 Lariat 180,000...I discharged my battery while hunting and had to get a jump. Drove home, approx 3.5 hours, shut it off and it started again approx 1 hour later. Drove another 1.5 hours and parked it for two days. Went to start it and there was zero power. Replaced battery, and there was still zero power. What could have gone wrong after letting it sit for two days other then the battery discharging again? Please advise if you can and thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Default update

replaced starter switch and tried to jump it. Didnt work. There was still no electric to anything. No door chime, no radio, no windows...its like there is no battery attached, with or without a jump.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by p5audet
replaced starter switch and tried to jump it. Didnt work. There was still no electric to anything. No door chime, no radio, no windows...its like there is no battery attached, with or without a jump.
Either your POS &/or NEG connections/ cables.

Or fuses in the fuse panel

Or Fusible links. Almost all are on the POS wires coming off the alway's hot side of your starter solenoid. A couple more on the drivers side.

You did attach the small slip on Ignition wire to the (S) terminal on the solenoid?

And all Hot wires w/ exception for the Hot to starter are together on the same Solenoid terminal?

Or the Ignition switch itself.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM

pos/neg cables....check

fuses inside the cab....check

small slip on Ignition wire to the (S) terminal on the solenoid....check

all Hot wires w/ exception for the Hot to starter are together on the same Solenoid terminal....check

going to inspect the fusible links...would they shut down power to the whole vehicle?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM

pos/neg cables....check

fuses inside the cab....check

small slip on Ignition wire to the (S) terminal on the solenoid....check

all Hot wires w/ exception for the Hot to starter are together on the same Solenoid terminal....check

going to inspect the fusible links...would they shut down power to the whole vehicle?
Well, you know the part in church, where they say "You must come through me"? Same deal.

Here's a partial list:
Fuse "W" Fuel pump relay
Fuse "N" EEC power relay (Check that one also)
Fuse "M" Engine compt LT (w/o option) and Fuse #1
Fuse "P" Trailer marker LTS relay and Engine compt LT (w/ engine compt lt option)

Try taking a reading from the Ignition wire to ground w/ key on. I show 3V.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Name:  componentlocation.jpg
Views: 13968
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 11-24-2010, 07:43 PM

this just happend to me as well just replaced the ignition switch on the cloum and put a 2ga. positive battery wire and terminal on it...no power door chime or anything no radio no start...? can the solenoid go bad in these thing ans cause no power?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 AM

still working on this problem...replaced the pos battery cable and another starter solenoid and I now have power to the cab, dome lights, head lights, dash lights, radio etc... but when I turn the ignition all the power cuts out again. if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect, the power returns.....any thoughts???
Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Bad connection dude.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 PM

still working on this problem...replaced the pos battery cable and another starter solenoid and I now have power to the cab, dome lights, head lights, dash lights, radio etc... but when I turn the ignition all the power cuts out again. if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect, the power returns.....any thoughts???

I got the same thing going on with my truck right now, No power to cab until I remove the terminals... try to crank over and the solenoid clicks and then everything cuts out again. WTF?? I am leaning towards the ignition switch on the column....

Last edited by The13redi; 07-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: No electrical power