Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

NO 1st or 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
King92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NO 1st or 2nd gear

I have an M50D-R2 that shifts fine with the exception that 1st and 2nd do not roll. It will go in easy like all the other gears 3rd - 5th and reverse.
and makes a faint noise like clutch is spinning the input shaft.
I have the factory shop manual, just a little unsure what is keeping the gears from engauging? Would like to give this fix a try. 1992 F150 4x4
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the deal, are all 5 speeds going bad at the same time??
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
King92

Originally Posted by str8dogg
What is the deal, are all 5 speeds going bad at the same time??
If it is winter where you are it's the time of year manual trans act up.
The M50D-R2 has three rubber plugs that dry out and leak...which is what happened to mine..I bought the truck with the bad trans....cheap! so I'm fixing it for my woods/hunting truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but it sounds like your problem too.

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
At the moment the only cause for your problem I can think of would be a broken shift fork. The same fork shifts 1st and 2nd. The good news is you can check it without pulling the transmission, but you may have to pull the seat. Remove the shifter and pull back the carpet from around the hole. There is a floor plate that unscrews which should give you enough room to pull the top cover from the tranny.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
King92

Hey Sean thanks!
Other folks have told me that is there thinking also.
Funny..not so...is I have the shafts and transferr case out...was getting the bolts loose for the trans when we had a cold snap..cold 1 degree F... :-)
Do you know if the fork can be repalced with out trans removal?
otherwise I will just go ahead and take the trans out and go though it.
I have followed you threads, you got my respect!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
We'd do it

The forks will come out with the top cover, so you can change it without removing the transmission. If you replaced your leak prone rubber plugs with metal ones (I think you said you did) then the one for that shift fork will have to come out to change it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Just jumping in here. If the forks are broken, can they be bought at an auto parts store, or where? And How much? Are they difficult to replace and would there be any other items that may have gone bad? I assume the Syncro's will have to be replaced through a tranny rebuild?

Last edited by str8dogg; 01-21-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Ok. I drove the truck today through the neighborhood and on the interstate. I found out that in order to have smooth shifting, I must rev the engine or the rpms must be high. The problem with this is that if i am in third or below I can't downshift too smoothly without putting it in neutral and reving the engine. Now here is the kicker. I was about a block away from my house stopped at a traffic light. When I put it in first and let go of the clutch, something sounded as though it broke, my truck jerked and my shifter started vibrating. It sounded as though somethin was clanging inside. I was able to make it home reving the engine up to change gears, but the vibration and clanging was still going on. It sounds as though I need another tranny, but I hope I didn't damage the engine. What do you think??
Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 PM
We'd do it

You may have shattered a syncronizer. You're going to have to open up the tranny to inspect, which you were planning on anyways.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM

In addition to the rattling noise mentioned earlier, I hear something spinning as I am in neutal that goes away when I depress the clutch. I can shift into gear for the most part, but the ratling is bothersome and I am sure that I will have to battle with getting it into gear. With the engone off, it shifts through every gear with little to no problems.

Quick Reply: NO 1st or 2nd gear