Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

new to me 96 will not go into low range

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 96 will not go into low range

Hello, I just recently bought a 96 eddie bouer 4x4 with a 351. While making sure the 4x4 worked, I found that I cannot get the truck into low range. High range works fine, just won't go into low range. It has after market warn hubs. I don't know if I am doing it right, or if there is a problem with the low range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damon
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

First, welcome to the site! Lots of good information here.

Next, suggest to be sure you're following the proper procedures. IIRC, some models specify the transmission in neutral and completely stopped before shifting to 4L. Also note the shift pattern - if you've got the manual transfer case shift lever on the floor - there are some quirks - some you need to move sideways (just follow the shift pattern diagram on the shift ****) - others you need to pull up or push down (see owners' manual).

After that - have a look at the linkage to the transfer case. In many cases, there is a lot of crud built up, blocking movement. Get the crud off, and lube every linkage up with some WD40, LPS, or the like - then exercise the movement several times to work everything in.

The hubs should not have much impact on the transfer case shifting. I personally prefer the manual hubs over the automatic ones - the KISS principle.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped completely, put it in Park, but never in neutral. That worked. Thank you so much. When it did go into low range, it made a loud clunk when it went in and again when it went out. I hope and assume that is normal. Thank you again.
Damon

Quick Reply: new to me 96 will not go into low range