Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to me 1992 F150 XLT 5.0L V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to me 1992 F150 XLT 5.0L V8

I recently bought a 1992 F150 XLT extended cab, 6' bed, 5.0L 302 V8, captains chairs... Anyway I've got a lot of questions.

1) What should the dual gas tanks hold? I'm trying to figure mpg and my math is getting me numbers around 4mpg(scary huh? ) In any case I would like to improve fuel efficiency since I drive 40 miles just to school and back everyday.

2) As far as I can tell 3/4 of the speakers are busted, so I plan on replacing them all. I've got a Pioneer head unit and need some suggestions on speakers for the doors and back columns.

3) The paint is fading a little on the bed, not the front becuase of the way it was parked, and the tailgate a lot. How would I go about bringing this faded paint back and looking good? I was thinking about picking up some ScratchX and maybe some other product for the tailgate.

4) Tires. The current tires may last another month or two and I need some new ones. The current tires are Maxxis Bravo H/T (P255/70R15 S108). I know next to nothing about tires, could someone tell me what the aspect ratio(70) means and if I'm correct about the 15 standing for a 15" wheel... I'm looking for something fairly good for the highway but still has good tread for the muddy dirt roads I live down.

5) I'm 6'3" and the seats don't go back as far as I'd like. Is there a way to "un-block" the rail so it'll slide back farther or modify it?

6) The seats are nearly perfect and I'd like them to stay that way. Where could I pick up some seat covers for these captains chairs?

7) I would like some bass to go with my new speakers but there is no space for a sub enclosure. Does anyone have experience with subs in an extended cab F150? I would probably go with some shallow mount sub(s). Either one right behind the passenger seat facing toward the bed or two facing inward sitting on the seat or maybe floor.

Thats all for now, I guess. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide or point me toward.

Last edited by W Ligon; 05-02-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: 6' bed not 8'
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W Ligon
I recently bought a 1992 F150 XLT extended cab, 8' bed, 5.0L 302 V8, captains chairs... Anyway I've got a lot of questions.

1) What should the dual gas tanks hold? I'm trying to figure mpg and my math is getting me numbers around 4mpg(scary huh? ) In any case I would like to improve fuel efficiency since I drive 40 miles just to school and back everyday.
I have read they are 19 gallons. I'm not sure. For measuring MPG, why not top it off, reset trip meter, drive till its thirty miles (or anything nice and easy to work with) and refill the gas. Divide the miles by how many gallons it took to refill. My '93 took three gallons to refill at the thirty mile mark, so im getting 10 MPG Good buy, by the way
Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 AM

I have a 94' 150 kingcab with dual tanks aswell, they each hold about 19-20 gallons each.

As for the bass I'm in the same boat as you. There's no way too fit a sub under the back bench and to just have them on the floor would be kind of, well, ghetto.

A friend of mine has his box in his bed, I'm thinking of following suit possibly.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Somery
I have read they are 19 gallons. I'm not sure. For measuring MPG, why not top it off, reset trip meter, drive till its thirty miles (or anything nice and easy to work with) and refill the gas. Divide the miles by how many gallons it took to refill. My '93 took three gallons to refill at the thirty mile mark, so im getting 10 MPG Good buy, by the way
I've only been driving it for 3-4 days and the seller filled both tanks for me so it won't be 'til the end of the week when I need to fill it. I drove on the front tank until it was right at 1/4 but I totally forgot to reset the trip meter and I roughly figured the miles to be about 60... Hopefully I forgot a trip or two.

Originally Posted by James_G
I have a 94' 150 kingcab with dual tanks aswell, they each hold about 19-20 gallons each.

As for the bass I'm in the same boat as you. There's no way too fit a sub under the back bench and to just have them on the floor would be kind of, well, ghetto.

A friend of mine has his box in his bed, I'm thinking of following suit possibly.
Do you have any idea where to find technical specifications on older trucks online? Google is no help, believe me I've tried. For the bass I might just end up getting some self enclosed amp/sub combo just to fit behind the passenger seat. As far as a box in the bed goes, it won't happen. I've got a tool box and I do use my truck's bed often.

I'll try and get some pictures up for you guys to drool over later today.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM

I've only been driving it for 3-4 days and the seller filled both tanks for me so it won't be 'til the end of the week when I need to fill it. I drove on the front tank until it was right at 1/4 but I totally forgot to reset the trip meter and I roughly figured the miles to be about 60... Hopefully I forgot a trip or two.

Do you have any idea where to find technical specifications on older trucks online? Google is no help, believe me I've tried. For the bass I might just end up getting some self enclosed amp/sub combo just to fit behind the passenger seat. As far as a box in the bed goes, it won't happen. I've got a tool box and I do use my truck's bed often.

I'll try and get some pictures up for you guys to drool over later today.

Sadly, no. Luckily the guy i bought the truck from had all of the original owner manuals with the truck (thank god) but also left me with two empty tanks.

Let me know how your bass setup goes though, theres no way I'll be able to fit my bikes in the back with a box in the way.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
WOOF

I recently bought a 1992 F150 XLT extended cab, 8' bed, 5.0L 302 V8, captains chairs... Anyway I've got a lot of questions.
thats a long truck! got pics?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by chelios
thats a long truck! got pics?
Oops. Its actually a 6' bed. I'll get the pics up in the next hour. I just put some Meguiar's body compound on the whole thing and it really shines.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
WOOF

Oops. Its actually a 6' bed. I'll get the pics up in the next hour. I just put some Meguiar's body compound on the whole thing and it really shines.

hmm about the paint compound, i need to do that. my paint is pretty dull. how did putting the stuff on it go?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM

If any of my photo accounts would work I'd put the picks up...

The trucks was parked how the bed was in the sun alot and it looked really dull and oxidized. I buffed the compound on and off and its improved 110%. I have a before and after picture from about 1' from the bed/cab division and you can really tell that it worked.

I'll try and upload the pics somewhere right now.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
WOOF

If any of my photo accounts would work I'd put the picks up...

The trucks was parked how the bed was in the sun alot and it looked really dull and oxidized. I buffed the compound on and off and its improved 110%. I have a before and after picture from about 1' from the bed/cab division and you can really tell that it worked.

I'll try and upload the pics somewhere right now.
sweet, i want to see that. did you have to rub it in really hard or just kinda wipe it all over the truck?

Quick Reply: New to me 1992 F150 XLT 5.0L V8