I picked it up for $850. It's a 5.0 auto with 212k miles. Motor runs smooth, good oil pressure. Trans is solid, front end is great. I have had many 5.0 mustangs in the past and alot seems the same. I've done heads cams, sc's, turbos, bolts on's ect in the past.
Issues I'm working on:
1. Heater blower is off or full...read here that I need the resistor..
2. Trans shifting way too soon, and hard to kick down...adjusted the tv cable 2-3 clicks got it perfect!
3. Engine strugglining to make decent power, specially keeping speed over 65.... I think alot of it is the damn 33's, but I put in new plugs and reset the eec and it is doing better. Clutch fan seems to suck the power though.
4. Pulls alot better in the upper rpm's with the front tank vs the rear... Maybe the pump up front is better? Do they have two diffrent pumps?
5. Keeping the water temp up... I know the eec wants the water to a certain temp or it won't switch loops... I got a thermostat but the highest they had was a 192, I thought 210 was oem temp??
6. When I turn the key to "on" and the pump primes, the cel light doesn't come on... I thought they were supposed to light up for a second? Maybe someone disabled it?
7. Stupid steering wheel is woobling like the chick's head on the exorcist. Maybe someone had it off and didn't install it back correctly. The bolt is tight, but what it mounts too isn't. I did this same thing on my dad's caddy once long ago. Anything here that just wears out and is a common problem?
8. Cruise and horn not working. Cruise did on the way home, but isn't now. If I remember the water temp has to be high enough before it will? Or maybe it the loose wobbly steering wheel?
Any help would be great. I think one of the funnest things is getting a car cheap and getting it all running good. I got this primarily for our medium sized dune trips. I have a small beater s-10 that I take if it is me and my son. This f150 will be for a couple more, a couple trikes in the back then a small trailer with 1 or 2 more. The big whole family trips we take the 31' rv (love the good old 460!!!) with a car hauler trailer behind it.
Last edited by boosted96cobra; 02-02-2009 at 08:57 PM.
I live in Utah, the truck prices have dropped alot in the last few months. Two weeks ago we went and got my friend a 95 f150 supercab aut 5.8 for $1k. It has a bit more miles and needs some freshing up on the front end parts and an alignment though.
Where do I find the code to see what gears I have? They seem really long. I have a few other sets laying around. You have to match the front and rear correct?
You can check the drivers side door panel or the tag that should be on the rearend.
And front and rear should be the same ratio. it's hard to rub your head and pat your belly at the same time...even harder for a transfer case to turn two axles at different speeds.
if it makes you feel better about your check engine light, I never ever see mine come on unless I'm checking codes. It doesn't come on when there's a code present or when I'm starting the truck, but it still works to count codes. I just consider myself lucky since I don't need to cover it up with tape :-) Mine is an 89, 351. Check your codes, if the light works for it, I'd leave it alone.
Couple updates.... clutch fan was sticking, for now I threw on a mustang clutch fan. Plan on going with an electric fan as soon as money allows. I put in the heater blower resistor, heater works good now. Traded my 33's for some 31's, with these tires and the good fan it cruises at 70 mph no problem.
I still have issues with the cruise and horn. The fuses are fine, but I think it may be an issue with the steering wheel. I also noticed a small coolant leak. It comes and it goes, I think it is in the water pump. The 2 prong temp sensor that sits above the thermostat is also broken. Still a work in progress but already 10X better than when I got it.