Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to the forum Drive Shaft/Yoke Question

Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to the forum Drive Shaft/Yoke Question

I have an 89 F-150 with a M5OD, and I had been noticing some noise from the back U-joint of the rear drive shaft. When I went to replace it I took it out and everything went smooth. I put the new one in and it all was going really good I got one snap ring in and went to put the other one in and I couldn't get the cap pressed in far enough to get it in. Whenever I got it close the u-joint would get really tight. First I figured a needle bearing must have fell over and was causing the problem. I took it off and the caps where all fine and no needle had fallen. So then I thought I must have just been given the wrong one at the parts store, as it took the girl like 20 mins to figure out how to run the computer to get me what I wanted, so I went to a different store and got a new one thinking I would just return the old one later. Same problem, is it possible for my yoke to have become squeezed in some how? I never hit on it other than back towards the weld so I don't think I could have bent it that way. And if so is there anything I can do to fix it short of taking it somewhere. I have a donor pickup at home but I'm at school and it will be a while before I can get somebody to bring it down. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

As long as you're sure no bearings fell over then drive it 'til the snap ring will go in. You then smack the yoke to relieve tension on the u-joint.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get it drivin in far enough to get the clip in that's the problem. I hammered the heck out of it when I couldn't get it, it just doesn't fit. I talked to a mechanic at the John Deere dealership and he said he had one do the same thing just a week or so ago, and tried to show me how he fixed it so I'm gonna give that a try. Any other ideas would be great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the forum Drive Shaft/Yoke Question