Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to F150

Hey guys I recently bought my first F150. Before this truck I was a jeep fan. Point being it's a 1995 F150 jersey state truck and the body is scratched and faded and I'm looking to bring this truck back to life. It's got the odd lime green color I guess is the best I can describe the color but can't find an exact shade since I want to keep the color plus needing a tail gate replacement.
I actually bought the truck from my uncle and he doesn't take real care of his trucks whether it be a simple tune up or more just as long as it starts and drives. The front fuel pump died sometime ago and the gas from the rear tank was dumping into the front tank and he had the line clamped off, wires taped, and tank removed and scrapped. Point being I'm running on the rear tank and need suggestions on whether to replace the front tank and get that working again. Any help would be greatly interested.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome too the F150 fold. But I dig Jeeps too. Had a 79 Cherokee S narrow track that I wish I still had.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!
As to the question about your front tank, depends on what you had in mind and how much is in your wallet. If it's a full restoration, sure, get the front tank. Might consider getting the selector valve too, since yours appears to leak from the back to the front tank. May check with the local boneyards whether they have a donor truck that you could strip the parts from. Buying new would get expensive. On the other hand, if you're just looking for a clean daily driver - just stick with what's working now. Unless you're planning on a lot of long hauls, dual tanks are overrated, IMO.
As far as matching the paint - it may be a custom color, may have to take a paint scraping in to a paint shop to get it matched.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was mine I would bring the fuel tanks up to stock, as I did with my 1994 F150. I had the reverse, front tank working & rear tank missing. Do you have the filler neck for the front tank? If so IMO it is not a difficult nor very expensive task, depending on cost of fuel pump. There are lots of salvage yards options (again IMO).

I may be wrong, but I do not remember a 1995 having a fuel selector valve. What is the color code on the door jam sticker?

HTH Lobo
Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 AM

I do have access to my uncles junk yard and I'm not worried about parts like the front tank, filler neck parts like that. If by chance my uncle claimed and broke the fuel like is that a problem or is the fuel line at the tank rubber? I do have a fuel selector switch.

As for the paint it turns out to be a custom color. My boyfriend found a color that came close to the color and sprayed some on cardboard and I put it up to the paint and took pics. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post them for opinions. I won't be using auto paint. I'll be using rustolium paint since it's closer to my budget. The color is called key lime.
Attached Thumbnails New to F150-img_0240.jpg   New to F150-img_0242.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be two flex lines between the hard fuel lines and the tank with quick connectors. One is for fuel to the engine the other is for return.

HTH
Lobo
Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 PM

My uncle does have a mid to late 90s I think it's a f250 v8. Would the tank be different? With the gas tank I'm just thinking of installing the front tank because without it I'm getting gas almost everyday. I travel anywhere between 10 miles a day to 200 miles a day. I know I should replace the throttle position sensor and one behind it from carbon build up and they do look original.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Adding 16-18 gallons of fuel is nice IMO. Fill ups suck though

Quick Reply: New to F150