Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New 1994 F150 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1994 F150 Owner

I just bought a 94 F150 and I love it. I have one problem. Sometimes, while riding down the road, the transmission seems as if it shifts to neutral and the engine revs up and then the transmission shifts back into gear and snaps my head back against the seat. Does anyone know what the problem might be. My mechanic has put it on the computer and it does not show any problems. My overdrive light does not blink.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 PM

that would be the trany slipping you may have bad bands in it now. does it only happen in one gear or all gears , that's the next question also check the tranny oil you could very possibly be low and "smell it" if it smells burnt you may have burned out some clutch bands
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM

It does it in different gears. It could be when I'm taking off or when I'm going 55mph. Mostly when I'm going 55mph. I took it to Mt. Mitchell last weekend (which is a 4 and 1/2 hr. drive) and it didn't happen one time. I was driving on I-40 and the speed limit was 70mph. When I got home and drove it to work the following monday, it happened one time. If my tranny is slipping, then it will only get worse, right?
Thanks for your response...I didn't think I was going to get any help with this.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
92F150

This may not be specific enough, but I think there is a sensor or switch called the transmission speed sensor that is causing your problem. I heard about this a few years ago, but I can't remember exactly what its specific purpose is. Check the linkage side of the trans and see if it is there. It is not the neutral safety switch. Call a reputable trans shop and ask them. They might be able to point you in the direction.
Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was a while back that I heard about this and it was a friends truck not mine.

Franks92F150
Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Default hmm

well I won't tell you for sure on the problem then all I know is that check the tranny oil see if it reaks of a godly burnt or maybe low oil, it may be some sort of sensor I am not an expert on them other than if the tranny oil is low, it can slip as well I have done that myself on a old peice o crap I owned but it was a diff tranny type good luck on it anyways
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 PM
'88 F150cust 4.9 2wd 5spd

I am not sure if this will help you or not, my brother has a 94 grand prix and it was doing about the same thing your truck is, but the spedo would stop working.The fluid in it was also low and we got it to where it is suppost to be. After about a week the spedo stopped working all together and it wouldn't shift out of whatever gear it was in, even if you came to a complete stop and restart the car. We bought a new transmission speed sensor and replaced it but also noticed that one of the wires were bare and corroded. So we fixed that also and now it works how it is suppost to. I would suggest if you do have a speed sensor check the wiring running to it first, if your going to replace it. Hope this helps.
-Shawn

Quick Reply: New 1994 F150 Owner