Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

NEED HELP please...high idle and hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP please...high idle and hard shifting

So, the lock up wasn't working in my transmission/torque converter so I took out my trans and replaced the solenoid pack and torque converter.

While my truck was down I decided to do a couple other things so I replaced the bad EGR valve, the broken EGR tube, replaced the TPS sensor and cleaned the throttle body. Now, I was not aware that the throttle body should not be cleaned.

Anyway, I put the truck back together and now the idle is very high (1500) and it shifts quite hard and slightly clunks. The TPS is brand new and so is the IAC valve. When I disconnect the IAC valve the idle drops to approximately 1100.

I am hoping that maybe the TPS needs to be adjusted... also, I am hoping that maybe the high idle might be causing the hard shifting. Also, my check engine light is on and it wasn't before the work.

Details:

-91 f150
-5.0/302
-E4OD Trans (4x4)

I'm stumped, frustrated and I am just at the end of my rope. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

TPS has to be adjusted at install. Or now. It can cause problems with shifting as well.
There's a thread on here somewhere I posted a while back called testing the TPS. Had somebody giving their opinion about better ways to do it, but it'll work for you. You just have to measure the signal wire, loosen the 2 screws, and just dial it in. That might help.
I cleaned my throttle body, who said you shouldn't ? Especially the edges of the throttle blades. And cleaning the IAC helps, but if it's really gummed up, I just toss them and put a new one (or a better one anyway).
Next, you'll want to pull your codes. Don't mess with your head trying to guess at things. There's a computer right there that'll tell you what's wrong. You don't even need a code reader on a 91. Just go to Sean's sticky post at the top of the page and follow the directions. Good luck !
Old 06-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
TPS has to be adjusted at install. Or now. It can cause problems with shifting as well.
There's a thread on here somewhere I posted a while back called testing the TPS. Had somebody giving their opinion about better ways to do it, but it'll work for you. You just have to measure the signal wire, loosen the 2 screws, and just dial it in. That might help.
I cleaned my throttle body, who said you shouldn't ? Especially the edges of the throttle blades. And cleaning the IAC helps, but if it's really gummed up, I just toss them and put a new one (or a better one anyway).
Next, you'll want to pull your codes. Don't mess with your head trying to guess at things. There's a computer right there that'll tell you what's wrong. You don't even need a code reader on a 91. Just go to Sean's sticky post at the top of the page and follow the directions. Good luck !
Thanks, I will just start with the TPS adjustment. When I put it back together and it had the high idle I researched "high idle after cleaning throttle body" and a bunch of people were saying it shouldn't be cleaned because it could damage it. Thanks for your help. I will adjust the TPS and pull codes today.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:15 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

The only time the TB shouldn't be cleaned is the first 10 years or so of it's life. It comes with a teflon-like coating that can flake if scrubbed. If a 24 year old TB still has the coating then it's a miracle. Usually 10 years or 100,000 miles and the coating is completely gone. It is advisable though to still only use "throttle body cleaner" as carb cleaner and brake cleaner are a little more caustic.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
So, the good news is that the check engine light and hard shifting went away after adjusting the TPS. Maybe it just took a coupe small drives to get the necessary fluid into all the proper places after having the transmission out and I am sure the check engine light went away because of the TPS adjustment. However, the high idle was still there so I did a smoke test... I covered up the throttle body inlets, lit a cigar and literally blew smoke into one of the vacuum lines and, viola, smoke came billowing out of the bottom of the throttle body where the shaft that the butterflys are connected to protrudes through the case of the throttle body. So, it's definitely a vacuum leak. New throttle body is already on it's way! The seal around or coating around that shaft must of worn off. Thanks for the quick input. Also, I pulled codes after adjusting the TPS and they were clear.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP please...high idle and hard shifting