Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need help with grinding gears on '95

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with grinding gears on '95

Sorry for this repost, I can't figure out how to deleat the llast one. I'm new to this site, but I've loved Ford's all my life. I just recently purchased my first truck, a '95 F-150 xl. I am having a little problem with it and I thought I'd ask y'all on here what it could be. I'm not very good with diagnosing problems with vehicles and whatnot, but it's a manual and when I shift, the gears grind a little bit, except shifting into 5th, that one's never ground...but about 70% of the time shifting into the other 3 gears they grind, sounds like the clutch isn't engaging all the way. But like I said I'm not entirely sure. Could anyone give me an idea what it could be?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Worn synchronizers in the trans.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

It could be a lot of things. The first thing I would do would be to check and make sure the transmission has good fluid. Since it is a manual the only way you can do this is to crawl under the driver's side of the truck and pull off the fill plug. Stick your finger in there and see if you can feel fluid.

But it could also be a bad clutch, or even a tranny in need of rebuild. Start with the basic stuff first.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the synchronizers need replaced. U can try to drain ur tranny and feel it with synchromesh gearoil it's not a forever fix but I did this in a ranger I had and it help a lot
Old 09-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to hijack the post but I'm wondering if the same things could happen in an auto trans. If so I'll have a place to start my diagnosing, if not I'll keep searching and start a new thread if I need to. Good luck man, I'm new to ford trucks too and am learning just like you are, hope you got your problem figured out! If I figure out anything I think might help I'll definitely post it in this thread!

Quick Reply: Need help with grinding gears on '95