Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

NEED HELP Going CRAZY !!!! BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NEED HELP Going CRAZY !!!! BRAKES

Ok so I did a complete brake rear brake job on my 1993 F-150 5.0 Long wheel base truck recently. I changed drums, wheel cylinders,hardware, brake shoes, brake hose , new master cylinder ,even the ABS hydraulic valve. . And come to my surprise my rear brakes are still wanted to heat up. They feel kinda draggy .. Could it possibly be my E- brake cables getting stuck. If so how can I tell if I have the ambulance package on my truck cause Rockauto has them but they show this option... Please help !!! I am seriously considering selling my truck!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Mark

Received 2,424 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Disconnect the E-brake and see if that solves your problem...
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Having just done my rear brakes (new shoes, springs, adjuster kit, turned drums) I can tell you that getting those shoes adjusted properly takes a bit of time and patience. Also you need to make sure you apply grease or anti/seize to the proper spots - where the shoes touch the back-plate, on the adjuster cable slide, the threads of the star wheel adjuster, and the e-brake bracket pivot thingy. Also gotta make sure you bleed the new cylinders properly.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Disconnect the E-brake and see if that solves your problem...
That's what I was thinking just to check if this solves my problem before I spend more money...

How do I go about disconnecting this? Do I disconnect from the joint plate located in the center of the truck?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You can unhook them at the equalizer bar just ahead of the driver's side rear wheel. The cables are most likely your problem if everything is installed correctly.
You probably do not have an ambulance package as that is a very rare option. There should be a sticker on your driver's door post (pillar) that gives info about ambulance package. I would think it reasonably safe to assume that you do not have that package.
You can remove the old e-cables and install new ones without removing the shoes etc. You just have to kind of mess around a bit and sneak them in there.
When adjusting your shoes keep trying the drum on until it starts contacting real well then back the adjusters off a couple of clicks so the drum turns without contacting. The self adjusters will pick up any slack after a few hard stops in reverse.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
You can unhook them at the equalizer bar just ahead of the driver's side rear wheel. The cables are most likely your problem if everything is installed correctly.
You probably do not have an ambulance package as that is a very rare option. There should be a sticker on your driver's door post (pillar) that gives info about ambulance package. I would think it reasonably safe to assume that you do not have that package.
You can remove the old e-cables and install new ones without removing the shoes etc. You just have to kind of mess around a bit and sneak them in there.
When adjusting your shoes keep trying the drum on until it starts contacting real well then back the adjusters off a couple of clicks so the drum turns without contacting. The self adjusters will pick up any slack after a few hard stops in reverse.

Yea I had a buddy of my use a brake adjusting tool kinda like a mic tool or measuring caliper to set my drums and shoes... Well I will give this a try.. I will keep you guys updated... THANKS
Old 10-07-2015, 09:06 AM

Ok guys here is a update on my truck. So I disconnected the Emergency brake cables from the equalizer bar and ran it like that for two days... No luck my rear drums are still getting hot and it smells like burnt brake pads... What else could I check.... Do you think I got a bad set of wheel cylinders? GOING CRAZY !!!!! Should I open the drums up and completely remove the cables to see if this helps?

Last edited by fmendez65; 10-07-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Mark

Received 2,424 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Something is not adjusted properly... not releasing the pads...
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM

What would cause the pads not to release? I changed the Hydraulic valve first then the Master cylinder... Could it be possible that the old master cylinder contaminated the new hydraulic valve assembly? Could my axles be bent??? This is the second set of drums I've changed in about a month.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Could it be my ABS modulator going bad?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP Going CRAZY !!!! BRAKES