Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need drastic help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need drastic help

Hello all, first post on this forum. Learned a lot so far, but I'm new to engines in general.

I have a 1996 f150, 302 5.0 v8.

I changed the spark plugs today, and I believe I did all of that properly. I changed each one one at a time, so i believe there is a minimal chance I crossed the wires. I started it once about halfway through and it ran just fine- slightly better actually.

I decided just for kicks and giggles I would bump the timing up a tad.
I have never done this before, but I read some basic guides and i went to my local oreilly's. Turns out, they dont rent timing lights, you have to buy them. I decided to do it by ear (sort of) and so I came home.

I got under the hood, and I disconnected the battery and the spout connector. I loosened the bolt for the distributor a little too much, and as I rotated the distributor ever so slightly, it sort of came back. I did it again to where I believe it would be advanced very minimally, then tightened it back down.
(I did all of this with the engine off, I feel like this is a key point but maybe it isn't. I'm not sure.)
I put spout back in, and connected the battery.

I started the truck and it idled around 1100, and sounded better. I revved it up to about 3000, and as I let off the gas, I heard a slight knocking. It seemed like the noise when you close a cabinet door, and it bounces slightly. It's hard to explain the noise. I listened really closely, and did it again. Same noise. I shut the truck off, and looked around. I turned it back on, and it seemed to hesitate around 200 rpm for a split second before getting back up to 1100. I gave it gas again, and same noise. I shut it off, got out, and saw white smoke around the rear of the truck.

I'm panicking right now, I feel like I just did something catastrophically wrong.

Did I?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

White smoke is a coolant leak into the engine, normally. Headgasket is the usual suspect on this, only way to verify is to do a block test for hydrocarbons, block tester is a loaner tool at Orielly's but you have to purchase the fluid that it uses ($10). Test the radiator with the block tester, if the fluid changes color then you have a blown gasket. But it could simply be unburnt fuel because you retarded the timing instead of advancing it.

As for the knocking it sounds like you have your timing out of whack. Find a buddy with a timing light and set it properly, if you want it slightly bumped go to 11*BTDC or maybe 12* if you have a fresh coil and wires. There are a lot of things that can be done by eyeballing, timing can be one if you've done it a few dozen times, doesn't sound like you have so stick with using the proper tools and adjusting it the correct way.
The following users liked this post:
thurgoz (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very very much, I really appreciate it. I will find someone more experienced to help me with the timing, I don't think it is my headgasket but if smoke persists after timing is fixed, I will not hesitate to test it. Again, thank you.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Sometimes the best way to learn something is to make mistakes, as long as you learn from this count it as a win.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Don't drive it until you get the timing set properly.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

when you get it timed, put a permanent mark...I use a pair of thin lines....across the base of the distributor on to the engine block in a place where you can see it..NOT on the hold down plate, as it moves around too much.

Next time, you can then return it to a "known" working location...it may be a tad off, but it should run.

Best of luck

Quick Reply: Need drastic help