Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need a better ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Need a better ride

I am looking for a few opinions about front suspension parts. My truck is a standard 2 wheel drive with 339k miles on it and it feels like it. I have asked some mechanics years ago to do the shocks but I don't remember if they did. I had other issues they were working on. I am thinking of replace any and all front suspension parts but I don't want to go overboard with air ride or anything like that. Probably shocks, springs, ball joints, and linkage is what I'll do.

Are there good aftermarket parts that don't cost an arm and a leg and do a better job then original parts or am I better off getting original parts? I am thinking of putting 250 springs in front to level out the truck. My steering has some play also. Will changing this stuff help or is that mainly a steering box thing?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Moog for springs, ball joints, tie rods, and bushings - order them from amazon and save money on shipping for the heavier items.

Shocks are a personal preference. If it stays on the street most of the $20-30 options suffice.
The following users liked this post:
memoniz (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The 250 springs moog cc844 are a little rough riding. cc824 will lift about the same without the harsh ride. But the 844's don't lean in the corners.
Adjustable upper ball joint bushings (moog again) are the way to go if you're going to put in taller springs.
New inner and outer tie rods will tighten things a lot. The steering box does have some adjustment in it. Also check your steering shaft and the rag gear (steering shaft to steering box connector) for any play.
You'll also want to consider your radius arm bushings (where the radius arms attach to the frame).
memoniz (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

If you're wanting a better ride overall, go all in and rebuild the whole front end. It's relatively inexpensive and once a couple parts are out, you have access to replace everything. As said below, plan on replacing:

- Springs - I recommend the Moog CC824's. Used the in my truck and it levelled perfectly and rides great.
- Shocks - Any cheap shocks are better than worn out ones. I used KYB GR2's
- Balljoints - Moog
- Tie rod ends - Moog
- Radius arm bushings - Prothane polyurethane.
- Axle pivot bushings - Prothane part number 6-601. Remove only the old rubber bushing and insert these (instead of pressing out the original metal sleeve)

The steering box is most likely worn out with that many miles. The adjustment only tightens the steering wheel but does not eliminate play. Replace the box with a Redhead steering box. I used an Oreilly's one and am kicking myself for not spending the extra $100.

With a 2wd, all the work will be pretty easy since you don't have a front driveshaft and drivelines to contend with.
memoniz (09-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Need a better ride