Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My Truck Wont Start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 PM
I

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default My Truck Wont Start.

As I stated before..I changed my upper/lower intake manifold gaskets and fuel injector pintle caps and o-rings. After reassembly I had a fuel leak at the rail where it meets the injectors, but that problem has finally been resolved. I have checked everything I can think of and it all is reconnected, but my truck will still not start up. My grandpa said it sounds like its hitting but it hasn't tried to start up yet. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Start at the basic, check the distributor and make sure it's not a tooth off. Put balancer to zero, see where rotor points. Either at one or six, pretty close to straight up towards firewall or down towards radiator. It's a bit before as cam has advance built in.
Compare that to one or six plug wire on cap, if it's okay you might be 180 off.
Maybe pull a wire before doing this see if there is spark.
Go from this point.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
I

I checked for spark at #1 wire and have spark. I'll check the distributor timing...that has to be the problem. I put my finger over the #1 spark plug hole and bumped the starter until I found tdc compression. Then set the harmonic balancer on 10° and got the rotor to point at #1 terminal on the cap. No luck
Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 AM
I

After my truck sat far a day and overnight untouched I pushed in the valve on the fuel rail, and got a nice little shot of gas to shoot out (probably 4 inches high) does this rule out a fuel system pressure leak?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I would imagine so. I wonder did something electronic go bad when you removed it to replace the gasket? Strange how it's not starting up.....
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman90
As I stated before..I changed my upper/lower intake manifold gaskets and fuel injector pintle caps and o-rings. After reassembly I had a fuel leak at the rail where it meets the injectors, but that problem has finally been resolved. I have checked everything I can think of and it all is reconnected, but my truck will still not start up. My grandpa said it sounds like its hitting but it hasn't tried to start up yet. Any ideas?
I dont know to much about pre 97 trucks. But, when i replaced my intake manifold my truck did the same thing. I'm not sure what the issue was but I took the air intake tube off and disconnected my MAF and IAT sensors and the truck started right up. I put everything back together then it ran fine. So, I'm not sure if your truck has MAF amd IAT, but I would try that.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM
I

I know...any idea what could prevent it from starting up? Im sure I didn't break a wire or a plug I was pretty gentle with everything.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 PM
I

Originally Posted by 2thousand5.4

I dont know to much about pre 97 trucks. But, when i replaced my intake manifold my truck did the same thing. I'm not sure what the issue was but I took the air intake tube off and disconnected my MAF and IAT sensors and the truck started right up. I put everything back together then it ran fine. So, I'm not sure if your truck has MAF amd IAT, but I would try that.
Thanks for the suggestion. My truck doesn't have maf its speed density. But like I said thanks for the suggestion I'm willing to try anything to get her running again. I'm lost here
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman90
Thanks for the suggestion. My truck doesn't have maf its speed density. But like I said thanks for the suggestion I'm willing to try anything to get her running again. I'm lost here
No problem hopefully it works, good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I

Yeah I guess I'm gonna have to give in and take it to a shop. I hate that idea but I need a professional to at least look at it

Quick Reply: My Truck Wont Start.