Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My Build Thread (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default My Build Thread (Lots of Pics)

Hey guys, so I figured I've done enough stuff to my truck now over the past year or so that I could finally start a build thread. I mean this stuff is relatively simple to do and not all that exspensive. Im working on a jobless high school budget so it's a miracle anything has happened. Here we go,

The truck as I bought it. Owned by a guy in his upper 40's and he got it from some lady who sold it cause of her divorced husband. My parents bought it for me for $3500 and I was lucky enough for them to give it to me about a month after I got my license. It had an ugly camper top, 33's, a new radio and some diamond plate bed rails.

The next thing I decided to do was to ditch the camper top and get some new tail lights. I thought the OEM tail's were kinda boring and they were really faded.(Pretend the Dual Exhaust isn't there, trying to go in chronological order)

Next, I was like pshhh for a big truck with a V8 this thing is quiet. So I had some friends that owned a brand new shop that were very happy to cut off the 50 gallon OEM muffler. We then went to autozone picked up a cherry bomb and some adapters and headed back to the shop. We decided that we would just gut the cherrybomb and weld it back together to get it a little louder. I know thats the same as a staright pipe but we didnt have any pipe. I picked up a nice 3 inch exhaust tip and a 90 degree elbow from autozone and slapped her on. It looked pretty nice and wasn't loud at all.

Next I was like hey why don't I throw some cool looking lights on there, that would make it uniique and be pretty cool looking. So i went to autozone and got some really bright white LED lights. They have a 3m adhesive backing and shine straight out. I put them on my headlight trim. At this time I was looking at my grill thinking, this thing looks like S***, so why dont I paint it black.

Next, I got kinda sick of the black grille so I found a billet grille on ebay for like $75 and it was cheaper then everywhere else so I was like hey there.

So next my father got a new job so we took a nice long trip from Wisconsin to Ohio, boy that was a crappy drive by yourself. We got to Ohio and settled in and I got a nice dual exhaust set up on ebay. It Was $175 in ebay and included a single in dual out glass pack with 2.25'' piping and some nice 3.5'' tips.

The next thing I did was smoke my blinkers, third brake light and got a set of OEM tail's and smoked them too. While I was at it I painted my tailgate panel with laquer black rustoleum. Looks pretty good. I'm also a huge snowmobile fan and even though we just sold our sleds I still rep the Arctic Cat name loud and proud.

Over the winter we had some really bad problems with ice on our driveway so being the smarta** I am I got cocky and got stuck so my dad had to pull me out with his Denali. When he did this the tow rop pulled up on the lower black valence and bent it so I took a dremel and cut it off. It looks good and makes it look a little more lifted. It is noticeable in the above picture.

After all that I took easy for a little while with mods. My next deision came by way of another member. I put my black grille and Euro Tail lights up for sale and a guy on here traded me some Pioneer speakers for the tails. I liked the speakers so I was like hey. While I was at it I took the opportunity to EQ my system. Everything sounds so much better just need some new 6x9's for the back. Installation was easy and the door panels were simple as pie. Sorry but I don;t have any pics, and it was cold as s*** when I did them

This all leads us to today. I went out and got some black plasti dip paint. Its a rubberized coating that adheres to any surface. My Back bumper started getting a little rusty and was just looking bad so I taped every thing off. I washed the bumper down, pulled the black plastic pad off the top, and then rubbed it over with rubbing alcohol. Its all in the prep work and you wanna make sure you mask well. Over spray is a B****. So I hit it up with 3 coats of plasti dip. Took about 30 minutes inbetween coats to dry and it evens its self out pretty well. When dries it feels like rubber. When you unmask the tape you'll want a knife to cut along the tape or it will pull all the coating off. While I did my bumpers I was looking at my hubcaps, all three of them, and was like hey those look like absolute crap so I took them off and did three coats and they look okay. Im not sold on them, but pretty soon i think ill be doing my entire rims so for now they will be fine.

We had some crazy weather today including dark skies, massive down pours, Hail and sunny weather. It was plain weird. Ill get a good picture in the light tomorrow for ya'll. Tomorrow I'm going to try and do my front bumper and light bezel's if time permits. If not I'll have to wait till after spring break. Thanks for reading this thread and I'll be sure
to update you guys as soon as I do anything. Down the road I plan on painting my rims, mirrors, front bumper, and trim black, a 2 inch lift, and some 2 inch wheel spacers.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Im thinking these rims:

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

Looking Good
Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
GIGGITY

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Save up, get a 4 inch lift off of ebay for $450 bucks and those rims and nice 33x13.50r18 tires will look insane on that truck.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 954x4
Save up, get a 4 inch lift off of ebay for $450 bucks and those rims and nice 33x13.50r18 tires will look insane on that truck.
if your gonna go with 18 inch rims go with bigger tires then 33.. 33 12.5 R15 or 16 would be the way to go.. 18 on that beautiful truck would look dumb as hell
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
GIGGITY

Ive got 33's on 15's and i think they look like balloons. Go with 17's. Itll look sharp.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 35x12.50 on 18's, and I think they look pretty good on the truck but you will need a lift, I currently have a 6 inch suspension lift which could be more.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Well, for the past year I have been trying to get my dad to let me get a lift kit and he put his foot down and said no. I think I am going to do a level with overload shocks up front and run 31's or 30's. My front tires are shot and I can get some nice 31's like super cheap. Will 30's be too small? Im going to go with something like the above rim and 1 of these tires:

http://www.treadwright.com/c-7-31-10-5r15.aspx
Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
GIGGITY

Stick with no less than 32's. I had 31's before i bought my bought my 33's and they looked like bicycle wheels on a dump truck. And go at least 11.50-12.00 wide. I made the mistake of putting 10.50's o. Mine and it looks retarded.

Dont go with retreads either. Break down and spend your money on a name brand tire.

Last edited by Wondertwin1; 04-17-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out my pics, (id add them right here but im on my phone and dont have the photos with me) but theyre on my profile. No lift, just a level and 31's to get an idea what it looks like. Didnt have the money for anything bigger, but i think these look fine

Sent from my Droid using F150 Forum

Quick Reply: My Build Thread (Lots of Pics)