Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My 95 4.9L just quit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 95 4.9L just quit

Hey everyone, thought I'd post my ordeal to help anyone with the same problem since I couldn't find much help.
Two weeks ago my truck just quit running and would not restart at all. Since I wasn't getting spark, I changed everything in the whole ignition system; ignition module, coil, rotor, dist. cap, wires, plugs. I still wasn't getting spark. Well, under the rotor in the distributor cap there is a metal plate like shield that hides the pick up coil. I couldn't seem to find any info about this pick up coil. As it turns out this pick up coil sh*t the bed on me and since it was covered with this rotor plate thing I didn't see it until I pulled the distibutor all the way out and turned it upside down to try and beat the shaft out after removing the retaining pin. Pieced just started falling out. I went to the parts store bought a new distributor since it came with a pick up coil already installed, put it all back together and it fired right up. I had to turn the distributor a little to get the timing back on.
I was at a total loss and "pulling the codes" didn't help one bit. It gave my a 522 which means transmission wasn't in park...well, I have a five speed so I guess it was right.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
April 2010 TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

So far, my Pickup Coil hasn't failed... just a matter of time though.

On second though; it was probably replaced before I bought the truck.

Quick Reply: My 95 4.9L just quit