Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Motorcraft water pump or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Motorcraft water pump or something else?

I try and buy Motorcraft whenever possible. I did a rear brake job yesterday and used MC drums and shoes and was surprised they were both made in China, probably shouldn't be though. Quality seemed fine but it got me thinking if I'm just paying for the name now. One of the bolts on my water pump is leaking so I'll be doing that very soon. After looking I can get a MC water pump for ~$70 shipped. Not bad but if the Airtex, ACDelco or Gates is the same quality (and also made in China) then why pay more. Cost isn't an issue, if MC is still the best then that's what I'll get but what is everyone using these days? MC or something else?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

I use motorcraft for filters and sensors, what I consider "running" parts. Everything else I shop and compare etc...

I swapped my WP for a Murray one that I picked up from Oreilly's. It was $32 and I haven't had a single issue with it. I know one of the Asst Managers there and he has a 93 F150, he said that's what he used when he replaced his a few years before. He said he never tried their MasterPro pump but usually didn't get their cheapest option for anything.

I've used Murray WP's before, one in an S10 and one in a Firebird, both I had zero issues with and lasted until the vehicle was sold (over 4 years on each) so not sure if they are still working or not.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1398&ppt=C0331
Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I try to get Motorcraft everything if I can and reasonably priced. Especially if it's electrical.

But for a waterpump, I put a Bosch water pump on mine. No issues with it.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I weigh the pros and cons... if it goes INSIDE the engine, I do what I can to get MC or what the forum has said time and time to be "better" than MC. If it goes OUTSIDE the engine and isn't too detrimental if it fails, I'll start with MC and also consider Gates and AC Delco. I also like Raybestos brake parts.

Last edited by Martian; 09-28-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks guys. Are there any that are 1 piece or do they all have the separate backing plate?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Some guy

All separate to the best of my knowledge.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had good luck with using the LMC catalogs and then crossrefrence every part distributor out there. you will find that sometime all you need is to check customer feedbacks, as far as this one or that one I try to stick with fomoco , and delco is more chevy based replacement. but 10 to one there all junk lmao if its leaking at a bolt its either bad gasketing or over tightened it and hairline cracked it. all hard parts I try for fomoco . do not hellicoil your waterpump bolts. if its stripped re tap it the hellicoils will rust away in any fluid resulting in a tension failure for that bolt
Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by FUfarmtruck
ive had good luck with using the LMC catalogs and then crossrefrence every part distributor out there. you will find that sometime all you need is to check customer feedbacks, as far as this one or that one I try to stick with fomoco , and delco is more chevy based replacement. but 10 to one there all junk lmao if its leaking at a bolt its either bad gasketing or over tightened it and hairline cracked it. all hard parts I try for fomoco . do not hellicoil your waterpump bolts. if its stripped re tap it the hellicoils will rust away in any fluid resulting in a tension failure for that bolt
Good advise, thanks. I'm almost positive it's a bad gasket but if I'm taking the pump off its getting replaced.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

One thing I'll mention. A LOT of Motorcraft parts are made in China. The TPS, O2 sensor, temp sensor, temp sensor for the computer, dist cap, and rotor, ALL said made in china on the box.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Some guy

Originally Posted by Crownman
One thing I'll mention. A LOT of Motorcraft parts are made in China. The TPS, O2 sensor, temp sensor, temp sensor for the computer, dist cap, and rotor, ALL said made in china on the box.
Of Chevy, Dodge, and Ford, Ford was rated the "least American" of the American brands. Chevy was the most.

Edit: Correction. ^ That has changed. F150 holds the top spot again as of July 2015. Runner up is the Tundra. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2015.html

Last edited by Martian; 09-29-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft water pump or something else?