Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

more problems again. 91 f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more problems again. 91 f150 4x4

i traded my truck for something else, 4 days later i get it back.guy i traded with towed it back to me.

when the truck is hot, it wont start back up.acts like it has a dead battery.the starter looks new,im assuming bad altenator maybe?

also i cant shift it in to gear while its running.have to kill it to shift it,if you start it in gear, it takes off. my clutch aint disengauging.im thinking replace the master and bleed it again. but also i have the pedal sag,even when it ran fine, the pedal sagged, the spring flops around , if it was tight , the pedal wont sag.

also the battery light stays on when the key is off.some times it will shut off.

also my smog pump is making noises, the pulley wobbles. i cant find a belt small enough to put on with out running the smog pump.all they have is a belt for a/c and no a/c . will the belt with for no A/c fit , i have a/c and its running.

any help would be appreciated. after this im keeping my truck. i missed it an hour after it left, now i got it back, i aint lettting it go again.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

chech the starter anyway mine was replaced in a week went to a shop tested came up bad

the clutch well could be air or the master or the slave and you said you ajusted if not you can ajust the linkedge to the master

as for smog make sure the pully is tight and if not its bad 100 dollar replacemnt if you wana spend 20 instead go down and take a rope put it around the pullys you want go to a auto store show them the lenght of rope and they will get you a close enough one pain staking cause you have to do it with the belt tensor tensioned so yeah

battery light your guess is as good as mine but short or computer going bad or is it the guage or light if guage check to make sure its not direct to the battery

Tom
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 AM

okay today i bought a new master cylinder. this one is metal, not plastic!!
but it didnt come with the line,sooo... ill see if i can use the old one, or just have to buy a new one. the master was $50 , the line is $34 !!!

also my clutch pedal has the "sag" , the basically the spring aint long enough to return the pedal to its normall spot, or theres a spacer or something missing. my truck is a 91 , in the junkyard i found a 92 , its a complete truck,and the pedal doesnt sag. the holes and ebverything looks like it will line up, but will it be the same? the spring is going almost vertical, in my truck the spring is in a different spot and running horizontal.

basically my question is , can u take the clutch and brake pedal bracket setup from a 92 , and use it in a 91?

also i charged my battery, started the truck up, pulled the cables, it starts to run like crap. second time it kept on dying out, so im guessing the altenator is bad. but it looks new, could it be the voltage regulator?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

I have the same no rollover and no start when hot..You may be right about the alternator...With the truck running and all accessories on the batt voltage should show about 14.6 volts.....let us know what u find ...pro
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by john1989
okay today i bought a new master cylinder. this one is metal, not plastic!!
but it didnt come with the line,sooo... ill see if i can use the old one, or just have to buy a new one. the master was $50 , the line is $34 !!!

also my clutch pedal has the "sag" , the basically the spring aint long enough to return the pedal to its normall spot, or theres a spacer or something missing. my truck is a 91 , in the junkyard i found a 92 , its a complete truck,and the pedal doesnt sag. the holes and ebverything looks like it will line up, but will it be the same? the spring is going almost vertical, in my truck the spring is in a different spot and running horizontal.

basically my question is , can u take the clutch and brake pedal bracket setup from a 92 , and use it in a 91?

also i charged my battery, started the truck up, pulled the cables, it starts to run like crap. second time it kept on dying out, so im guessing the altenator is bad. but it looks new, could it be the voltage regulator?
I know for a fact that if you pull the battery cable while it's running and it stalls or stutters that your alternator is bad.

I could be wrong but, I believe the voltage regulator is built into the alternator, if it's not, I think it's an easy conversion.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM

yeah im bout to go out and pull the old altenator off and get a new one.
last nite i had some one jump start me, pulled the batt cable off, itd run like crap,then die. now when you pull it , it dies instantly after a sputter.
also after a jump start, you can crank it over only twice under its own power. guessing everything (lights,radio ect) is running off an already dead battery.
i aint got no multi meter so i cant take get any readings ,but ill post up what happens when i get it done.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Sounds like a classic case of deal alternator. On a fully charged battery you should be able to start the truck and it should run until the battery drains down. Depending on your current draw you may be able to go several miles before it dies. If you jump start it, leave the jumper cables connected for a while after it starts. This will put some charge into you battery.

A meter would really help, but you can us the un-numbered volt meter on your dash. With the jumper vehicle connected you'll see the needle mid range. When the jumper cable is removed you'll see the needle drop to a lower indicated voltage. This is assuming you have a volt gauge in the instrument cluster.

Your lights may dim or increase in intensity also when you increase your idle speed. Dimmer, if alternators is dead.

Clutch hydraulic - be sure to bleed through the slave cylinder and actuate the pedal to work air out and through.

Last edited by OldBlue94; 01-05-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

91 and 92 pedal assem are totaly diffrent 91 below are horizontal springs and 92 up are vertical so no it will not work but possibly your spring is worn out i suggest in looking at lower years i have an 87 if you want ill take a picture and i can send it to ur email

Tom
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 PM

okay i replaced the altenator and it works fine. pulled the battery cables while it was running, and it stayed running! it was a pain in the ***** to do , truck being lifted and me being short!! next i got to install the new clutch master, relocate the horn , gotta order a new clutch fluid hose if i cant salvage the old one. (the hose is $34 , the new master was $50, the new slave was $40 , and a $34 line!! CRAZY!!)
tried to bleed it by myselt, nearly impossible, still cant shift it in to gear, grinds if you try. also since my smog pump is bad, i got a real nasty noise,when i started it with no belt the sound was gone, so now i just gotta figure out the belt issue.
also when i stomp on the gas it sputters. i replaced the plugs and wires, could this be bad fuel injectors?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 87Ford
91 and 92 pedal assem are totaly diffrent 91 below are horizontal springs and 92 up are vertical so no it will not work but possibly your spring is worn out i suggest in looking at lower years i have an 87 if you want ill take a picture and i can send it to ur email

Tom

yeah could you send me a pic of wat its supposed to look like to webbmatt80@yahoo.com ??? id appreciate it .

i think my spring is worn or its missing a spacer or somthing.

also for the fire wall flex, any one got a pic of a repair or something , i think my fire wall flexes when u hit the pedal.

Quick Reply: more problems again. 91 f150 4x4