Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > 1987 - 1996 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default MAP Sensor???? Running Lean???

My 1987 F150 is having issues when running under a load. AT about 45-50 mph or going up hill, the engine sputters and lurches as if it is not getting enough fuel. At first I thought this lean condition was caused by a clogged fuel filter or bad gas, but after changing the filter, cleaning the injectors, and filling up with new gas, nothing has worked. I suspect it may be caused by a fouled Mass Airflow sensor. Any idea if I may be on the right track?


I have the v6 engine.


Thanks

Last edited by bowie1; 02-21-2011 at 11:47 AM.
bowie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Hi-Rev Motorsports
5 Year Member
 
dr_bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

no V6 in 87 for the 150 pick up....

if its lean and you know it is then check fuel pressure under load...the MAP will NOT make it run lean as under load there is less vacuum and that makes it run rich unless the map is real bad andf by then it just wont run or idle either...if it idles fine then in most cases the MAP is good and the problem is elsewhere...

for fuel being lean it will be the O2 sensor or the fuel system...
__________________
Rule#1...NEVER argue with an Idiot...they only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience...!!!
Chevrolet....the only thing faster than my zipper...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymeski
Not a spankable offense...unless "raider" does it.
dr_bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Assistant Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 30,894
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 51
Thanked 584 Times in 343 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie1 View Post
My 1987 F150 is having issues when running under a load. AT about 45-50 mph or going up hill, the engine sputters and lurches as if it is not getting enough fuel. At first I thought this lean condition was caused by a clogged fuel filter or bad gas, but after changing the filter, cleaning the injectors, and filling up with new gas, nothing has worked. I suspect it may be caused by a fouled Mass Airflow sensor. Any idea if I may be on the right track?


I have the v6 engine.


Thanks
You don't have a MAF sensor, unless someone did a conversion. Doubt that.
__________________
"Saving the World....One Ford Truck at a Time."
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bowtie View Post
no V6 in 87 for the 150 pick up....

if its lean and you know it is then check fuel pressure under load...the MAP will NOT make it run lean as under load there is less vacuum and that makes it run rich unless the map is real bad andf by then it just wont run or idle either...if it idles fine then in most cases the MAP is good and the problem is elsewhere...

for fuel being lean it will be the O2 sensor or the fuel system...
Actually they did have a 6 cylinder it is the 4.9L straight 6. Did some research and it is the first application of fuel injection in the f150. Any ideas on how to test to see if that is the issue.
bowie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Assistant Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 30,894
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 51
Thanked 584 Times in 343 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie1 View Post
Actually they did have a 6 cylinder it is the 4.9L straight 6. Did some research and it is the first application of fuel injection in the f150. Any ideas on how to test to see if that is the issue.
I know this to be true regarding the 87' E series. EFI I-6 was optional. I special ordered mine. Don't know about I-6's in the 87' F series.

Any ideas on how to test to see if "what" is the issue?

Run error code scans.

http://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-ret...es-obdi-10907/

OR

http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html
(you can find them in stores locally for a little closer to $30.)
__________________
"Saving the World....One Ford Truck at a Time."

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
Lenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 11,747
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 417 Times in 113 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie1 View Post
Actually they did have a 6 cylinder it is the 4.9L straight 6. Did some research and it is the first application of fuel injection in the f150. Any ideas on how to test to see if that is the issue.
I think he was more pointing out that the 4.9L trucks are an I-6, not a V-6. The V6 didn't make its appearance until 1997.

EDIT- I fixed the title. If that's not what you meant for it to say, let me know and I'll change it back. I don't think you meant for it to say "MAD sensor", didja?
Lenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: kentucky
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Could u possibly be talking about torque converter shutter???
__________________
95 f150 xlt
5.0 HO with mild cam
bigshane90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Running Lean blazinrebel 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 7 01-16-2012 12:07 AM
Running Lean (Bank 1 and 2) SickF1fifty 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 18 02-16-2011 09:38 PM
need help with running lean usmarine3533 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 5 09-27-2010 11:35 PM
Truck running lean? 719QUINTANA 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 6 01-23-2010 08:13 PM
5.4L running lean? sgtwatson General F150 Discussion 4 02-17-2008 07:30 AM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.