Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

manual locking hub problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual locking hub problems

I have a 1992 ford f150 4x4. I am currently having problems with the four wheel drive on it. When i lock in the hubs and put it in four wheel drive and get going i can hear a clicking noise when the four wheel drive is working. I also noticed that the right passenger side manual lockout was warm and loose after driving home while the drivers side was cold and tight. I'm trying to figure out why the hub is loose and warm and why it clicks when it is engagged
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its time to open that particular hub up...if they stay cold after you have driven it thats a good thing, means there isnt to much preload on your bearings. But it can be bad too, it might be a little to loose. So you might be having some bearing problems in the hot hub, as far as the noise I'd say your hub lock is either broken or breaking. They're not hard to work on...but you will need to buy the right hub socket, local parts stores usually carry them, theres bout 3 different sockets, so I'd take your lockout off and take a peek in there to see which one you might need.

Quick Reply: manual locking hub problems