Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...

I just bought a 1990 xlt Lariat 2wd for very cheap. It has major rust issues, some of which I'm taking care of as we speak. Like the leaf spring brackets and shackle. My question is, there are spots on the frame that have cancer and I was wondering if it's worth repairing or just go ahead and resell the truck. One spot is right above the rear axle right at the hump in the frame. And the other is on the front right, right in front of the bracket for the front axle. I was hopeing to fix this one up and keep it. The interior is in GREAT shape, as well as the motor and trans. I will try to post pics of the trouble areas. I do have access to a flux core mig welder. Also I should tell you I a Carpenter who will really be using this truck for what it was mean for if I keep it. Thank you...
Attached Thumbnails Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...-1123001425b.jpg   Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...-1123001425.jpg   Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...-1123001427.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by CarpenterWagon; 11-23-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: pics
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM

from what I have found, with as cheap as these older f150s are no reason to settle for a rust bucket.. Personally I do not see the point in repairing it when it gets to this point, my time is worth more to me. But I guess you decided how much your time and the cost of materials adds up to and decide if its worth it to you.

Also think, I am sure more than just the frame is rusted out. Hows the bed, or the car floors?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Get out while you still can - or, maybe keep it for parts if you have enough space - but that frame is a goner.

The big holes in your pics are places that have a lot of weight pushing on them, so if you're planning to load it up and put it to work, it will probably give up its ghost that much quicker.

My .02
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Do you think I could weld some 1/4 inch steel on the side of it and use it for light duty for a while? How bad is the front do you think? I was hoping for some positive responses. lol guess not.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... that thing's a goner. Maybe find another (more solid) truck and use the interior and such out of this one to build up one nice one?

I can appreciate your idea of welding in some plates and such, but there just isn't a lot left to weld to!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a lot of work ahead of you. The 1/4 in. plate is waaayyy too much. the frame itself is only 10 gauge(1/8th in.) material. If you do add metal you have to clean off @ least 3-4 in's.past the rust to get a good strong surface. and forget the Flux-core! those are more suited for heavier metal (3/16th on up). So yea,get out while you can!!!. P.S. I'm a certified welder by day, proud F150 owner by nite.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Well the hell with it. I went out today and got the front spring bracket kit. I have to wait to get the rear. I think I'll just weld the damn frame, put some new spring brackets and a shackle and call it good. Maybe just use it for daily sriving and some LIGHT duty stuff then unload it when I can. Here's a pic of the new sping bracket kit. I was surprised to see it came with a new spring bushing. Now I just have to get the old bushing sleeve out of the spring. Does anyone have a trick for this? I was just going to take a sawzall and a hammer to it.
Attached Thumbnails Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...-1124001705.jpg   Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...-1124001706.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torch!!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Propane???? Thats all I got. I use it to relove the rubber part of the bushing, just the outside sleeve is left in.

Quick Reply: Major Frame Rust - Debating restoring or resale...