Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

MAF Sensor Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAF Sensor Problems??

Hey all,

I recently have had some problems with my truck. It is stalling and has low response and fluctuates in idle when running. I changed my IAC valve and that didn't work. Still is dying and fluctuating. My check engine light has had an EGR code for quite some time, but until recently it hasn't been giving me problems. I recently changed out the fuel pump in my truck. I guess after i reset the computer this problem showed up. Fuel pump is fine though.
The problem is she is sputtering and seems like she is gonna die when i give her constant throttle, then boom! she kicks on and responds until the next time she starts sputtering. Now i cleaned my MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner and it still is doing it. Should i get a remanufactured MAF Sensor or fork out 50 bucks more for a new one?

FYI: my truck did this to me about 5 months back. but after a bit stopped. Maybe my MAF sensor was slowly going dead and just kicked the bucket recently.

Last edited by L.Jimmy; 05-21-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 AM
American Pride!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not 100 percent but it sounds a little like some issues Im having after taking mine for a swim. Mine seems to run fine until it warms up good and then it starts studdering on acceleration "sometimes" and it seems to be weak until I open her up. Im getting an EGR code and a couple about the O2 sensors but I think its the Maf air sensor also sending bad info to the PCM therefore making the whole system not work the way its supposed to(I also cleaned with mass air sensor cleaner 2-3 times and no luck). Ive got some extra new O2 sensors hanging around from the past and Im going to change them out this weekend to make sure they arent the culprit and if they arent then the Maf sensor has got to be my problem. I will keep you posted. But if it turns out that it is my Maf sensor then I will buy a new sensor and not a refurbished one especially since theres only a 50 dollar difference. If it was a 100 dollar difference then I would probably sway the other way.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this sucks! I changed my MAF sensor and to no avail i am stuck with the same problem i had. Well after changing both the IAC valve and the MAF sensor i believe the only thing i have left to change is the EGR valve. The only problem is that when i change the EGR valve. I am going to have to change the inlet metal tube that connects to the bottom of it because it has a huge hole where the corrugated part is. This is gonna suck because i have to remove the intake upper assembly that goes to it, and the dealer wants 150 dollars for it. ouch! Well that is the update. Swampfishin, if i were you i would attack the EGR valve before you spend money on other parts. Maybe clean it with carb cleaner or replace it. I hope that will solve your situation. Mine still is pending.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
GLOBAL WARMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L.Jimmy
The only problem is that when i change the EGR valve. I am going to have to change the inlet metal tube that connects to the bottom of it because it has a huge hole where the corrugated part is. This is gonna suck because i have to remove the intake upper assembly that goes to it, and the dealer wants 150 dollars for it. .
There is a hole in the system, might that be the problem? Maybe when the EGR opens it is sucking in GOOD air instead of Exhaust and the O2 sees the system as lean (too much air) and adds fuel causing the engine to choke down??? Its a guess!

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor Problems??