Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Made a mistake, will my block freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made a mistake, will my block freeze?

So long story short, I ran into complications while trying to change my water pump today, and the truck is going to have to sit for a few days/nights. It's cold where I am and gets below freezing at night, which is where my problem is... I was expecting to get the truck done today and flushed the block and heater core. Later I realized I wasn't going to get it done, and then I realized I have straight water in the motor now and it's going to freeze tonight. So I plugged the passenger side water passage in the timing cover, and removed the thermostat and poured coolant/water through the intake until I saw the water coming out of the timing cover turn green. I then plugged that hole and unplugged the timing cover hole on the drivers side and repeated the process. Do you thing that is enough to keep the block from freezing and blowing out my freeze plugs? Should I unplug the timing cover holes and let it run out until it stops coming out or should I leave them plugged?

I do not have an air compressor to blow the water out of the system. My room mate does but he isn't home and I'm not going to use his tools without him being here as he is very particular. Plus, he just bought it and I don't think he has it put together yet...

Last edited by 93Bandit; 02-07-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Just drain it and be done until you complete repairs.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Just drain it and be done until you complete repairs.
How so? As far as I know how to completely drain it would be to either use air or pull freeze plugs. I don't have shop air and I'm not pulling the freeze plugs.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Does it have a block heater ?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Does it have a block heater ?
No.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Did they quit putting drain plugs on the sides of the engine block? Honestly I don't know I never paid attention. As far as I knew they still had them.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
Did they quit putting drain plugs on the sides of the engine block? Honestly I don't know I never paid attention. As far as I knew they still had them.
I didn't know they ever put drain plugs in blocks.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 93Bandit
I didn't know they ever put drain plugs in blocks.
They certainly did. I thought they still did, but I guess I quit using them so I didn't pay attention.

I think the ones ford used would take a 3/8 or 7/16 wrench. About the level of the soft plugs, one on each side of the block. They could be real tough to get started turning if they were removed and then screwed back in too tight.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
They certainly did. I thought they still did, but I guess I quit using them so I didn't pay attention.

I think the ones ford used would take a 3/8 or 7/16 wrench. About the level of the soft plugs, one on each side of the block. They could be real tough to get started turning if they were removed and then screwed back in too tight.
I searched for drain plugs online and found a lot of people stating that they are difficult to remove and a lot of times they strip. So I'm not going to risk stripping those plugs. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I got enough coolant back into it.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 93Bandit
I searched for drain plugs online and found a lot of people stating that they are difficult to remove and a lot of times they strip. So I'm not going to risk stripping those plugs. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I got enough coolant back into it.
I don't think the plugs would strip in the block. But you need a six point socket so you don't round off the head of the bolt. Then you need to get a lot of leverage(torque) on the socket. Just an FYI, if you ever find them and try to remove them.

Quick Reply: Made a mistake, will my block freeze?