Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Lound clunk/slam into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lound clunk/slam into first gear

I have a 96 f150 4x4 XLT with automatic transmission, 145K miles. There is problem when it downshifts to first gear with an awful sound. It really slams into gear - it would be about the same sound if you ran straight into a curb. The transmission fluid is clear and is full.

It was difficult to tell, but it seemed to also have the same when going from third to second, but much less dramatic. I don't dare drive it too much, as I'm sure it can only make the problem worse.

Any advice? Any hope? I know this can't be good, but am hoping others have expeienced something similar and can share what their problem was, and how much it costs to fix.

thanks.

Last edited by jhp7395; 03-27-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Have the computer checked for codes.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went out and used my ElmScan tool to check, and there were no codes. The check engine light never went on, so I didn't think I would need to check for codes.

I was thinking of the possibility of replacing the transmission filter, but I just don't think it is that. This happened very suddenly and abruptly. Up til yesterday, everything was fine, and I never run the truck hard, and it has never been plowed.

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The check engine light may not blink for the transmission, but there could still be codes on the computer anyway. Also, the O/D light on the gearshift will blink, usually, if there is a problem with the transmission. You could try taking her to a transmission shop, some place you trust, and see if they will have someone ride along and listen to the problem. Maybe they could let you know what they think, kinda like a free estimate. I have done this before locally with other problems. Sometimes you get good advice that you can use without taking her to the shop for the repair.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lound clunk/slam into first gear