Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Lot's of air in cooling system, what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lot's of air in cooling system, what's wrong?

Ever since I bought the truck it's sounded like the coolant in the heater core "sloshes" when giving the truck throttle, like there's air in the system. I've tried to burp the system to no avail. I removed the radiator cap and ran the truck up to operating temp. Coolant began to bubble and run out of the radiator for quite some time. Once it was done overflowing (and making a mess I couldn't avoid), I looked inside and the level was lower than halfway down. I topped it off, thinking the air was gone, and before I got the cap back on it all bubbled and overflowed again, down to the same level... I had my dad come out and look in the radiator as I held the throttle down a little and he claimed the coolant pulled down in the radiator a little like it should but he couldn't see it flowing out of the tubes on the end. I then let off the throttle and it shot coolant a foot straight out of the cap (it didn't my dad). So what's going on? Every time I fill it, it overflows until it's half empty. I haven't had the truck overheat according to the temp gauge, but I don't know if I can trust it. The weather has been cold though, so that helps. My dad thinks the radiator might be plugged??? I have no idea. Any help is appreciated!

I might add that I'm positive there is not a blown head gasket. The truck doesn't blow white smoke and plugs are golden brown. When the coolant level is way low it doesn't bubble or anything.

Last edited by 93Bandit; 11-25-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like you could use some maintenance on the cooling system. Just because you hear the burbling doesn't mean there's air in the system. There could be a restriction in the heater core causing the noise as the coolant rushes by it.

If your dad couldn't see coolant coming out of the radiator tubes the thermostat could be stuck partially open. If that happens it would let enough coolant through to keep it from overheating but when you rev it up the the thermostat turns into a restriction in the flow and can cause a lot of pressure to be sent through the heater core.

I would suggest flushing the system and replacing the thermostat. Disconnect the radiator hoses and back flush the radiator. Then disconnect the heater hoses and back flush the heater core. Then reconnect the heater hoses, pull the thermostat out, and then put the housing and hose back on. Then shove a water hose into the upper radiator hose and back flush the block. Put it all back together with a new thermostat, fill it, burp it, and it should be good at that point.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:03 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

It also sounds like you may have a bad head gasket.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Prestone makes a flushing accessory (cheap) that goes in your heater hose which is very useful for getting air out of the system.
But you do have a problem in your cooling system. It should not be bubbling up and overflowing.
Start with crownman's advice and flush that system really good and then give it a fresh thermostat.
If the same thing keeps happening you may have to consider jkenprice1's advice.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Prestone makes a flushing accessory (cheap) that goes in your heater hose which is very useful for getting air out of the system.
But you do have a problem in your cooling system. It should not be bubbling up and overflowing.
Start with crownman's advice and flush that system really good and then give it a fresh thermostat.
If the same thing keeps happening you may have to consider jkenprice1's advice.
I just had my cooling system flushed last week and now my radiator is leaking on the drivers side tank. Is it time for a new radiator? I hate to leave it too long....

Any advice appreciated!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=clintm6;4433963]I just had my cooling system flushed last week and now my radiator is leaking on the drivers side tank. Is it time for a new radiator? I hate to leave it too long....

Any advice appreciated![/cQUOTE]

I bought a truck with a cooling system that had been neglected and I ran a radiator flush thru the system. The flush managed to break up all of the rust and the radiator and heater core started leaking. Now with used cars, I just drain the sys, flush with plain water and refill.

Last edited by Pwaho; 11-27-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by clintm6
I just had my cooling system flushed last week and now my radiator is leaking on the drivers side tank. Is it time for a new radiator? I hate to leave it too long....

Any advice appreciated!
If your rad is leaking it's time for a new one.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
If your rad is leaking it's time for a new one.
Yea, that's what I thought too! Hopefully I can make it until next weekend (after payday!) Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
It also sounds like you may have a bad head gasket.
Head gasket.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a new thermostat in the truck yesterday and topped off the radiator. I also fixed the overflow tank. It was plugged. We'll see if that solves my problem. Hopefully it does. I've been watching temp and it doesn't even get close to overheating.

Quick Reply: Lot's of air in cooling system, what's wrong?