Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Losing power in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing power in the morning

I have a 96 F150 5L V8 with 156k miles. I have been having an intermittent problem for several months now with the my truck. After starting up in the morning and warming up for a minute, I will get less than a mile and the engine will just lose power and go quiet even with the gas pedal to the floor. When I let off the pedal it returns to idle but must be pulled over and restarted. After waiting 10 seconds, i can drive it the rest of the day without a problem. In the past few months I have replaced...
IAC Valce
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark plugs
Fuel pump solenoid
Mass air flow sensor
entire distributor assembly
EGR Valve
DPFE Sensor

It never happens when I leave it with a mechanic and sometimes I will go for weeks without it happening. Recently I have sometimes heard a whine from behind/underneath my seat when I know it will stall out. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Check the fuel pressure. Sounds like you are losing pressure. Does it happen with either tank? I run mine out of gas constantly and I have noticed a whine when the fuel pump is trying to pump but there is no fuel. Maybe you have a hole in a line inside or outside of the tank and the pump loses its prime.

Quick Reply: Losing power in the morning