Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Looking for low cost options to repair body rust

Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for low cost options to repair body rust

I would like to start repairing the rust areas on my '94 supercab. The usual areas over the fender wells, the bottom rear panel of the cab and the corners.

I am not looking to restore or give the truck a professional look, just want to clean up the rust areas to help make it look a little better.

Low cost options are ideal as I have more time than money. To make it even more challenging, I am not particulary gifted at vehicle body work. I just have the desire to make my truck look better, maybe last a little longer and have it not break the bank.

Go with replacement panels? Fiberglass? Greatly appreciate words of wisdom as I really like this truck.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:13 PM

If you are looking for a cheap way to stop the rust try using a wire wheel and some type of rust inhibitor. I am not sure of a good brand but I bet some one on here can help with that.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
good ol Arizona boy

rust inhibiter, then use bondo, then paint
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Naval Jelly is awesome at taking away rust from my experience. Then patch it up and paint it up.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM

Default High School Vo-Tech

Try taking it to the local high school or college and see if they can do the work as a project. My vo-tech used peoples cars for projects all the time.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by psygopher
Try taking it to the local high school or college and see if they can do the work as a project. My vo-tech used peoples cars for projects all the time.
Wow, good idea. Never thought of that. I will check into it as I am not too excited about having to do the work myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for low cost options to repair body rust