Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Load capacity

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load capacity

Have an 89 4X4 with the lift blocks under springs and Rancho shocks. Dropping a trailer on the hitch with any weight on it causes a lot of sag. Saw J.C. Whitney has load spring helpers that go around the shock. What do you guys think. Would it really help? Thank you in advance for the advice.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

or you could get an add a leaf prob be just as good if not better they make many things to fix it air ride air assist you can buy bigger leafs or add leafs its your call really how much tounge weight you putting on the hitch?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 87Ford
or you could get an add a leaf prob be just as good if not better they make many things to fix it air ride air assist you can buy bigger leafs or add leafs its your call really how much tounge weight you putting on the hitch?
Not sure. 5x10 trailer with a 450lb 4 wheeler. I roll the bike up over the trailer axle and watch the rear end take a nose dive.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 88 2wd, I had 960lbs of scrap metal in the bed (acording to scales at the junkyard) and it sat level with the front (about 2 inch drop)

I also had 2400lbs of quickrete in the bed (30 bags at 80lbs a peice) when i had that loas it sat alot lower than the front..

If you truck is sitting level with just the trailer you might need to replace all the leaf springs..
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 AM

wow only 500 pounds on the bed and dips alot ????? think about it its a half ton truck 500 should be fine somethings wrong either you dont have the trailer to the hitch at the right load meaning angle which then can determine the toung weight or your rear springs are shot what year truck is this and make sure the springs are atached !!!!! meang shackles to frame trust me thats the most spots that rust through on old trucks but wow i towed a full truck with a 1/2 ton trailer on my 87 f150 didnt even move the bed i would do measurments on your springs meaning find out what it should be in free arc and see if its corect then find the loaded arc and see if its correct?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 87Ford
wow only 500 pounds on the bed and dips alot ????? think about it its a half ton truck 500 should be fine somethings wrong either you dont have the trailer to the hitch at the right load meaning angle which then can determine the toung weight or your rear springs are shot what year truck is this and make sure the springs are atached !!!!! meang shackles to frame trust me thats the most spots that rust through on old trucks but wow i towed a full truck with a 1/2 ton trailer on my 87 f150 didnt even move the bed i would do measurments on your springs meaning find out what it should be in free arc and see if its corect then find the loaded arc and see if its correct?
It's and 89 4X4 with lift blocks under shackles. I looked at the attachement point to frame and they're in tact. How do I test for free arc and where is data on what these measurements should actually be? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 AM

free arck is when the axle is hanging by the springs you measure the distanse over all then the amplitude then measure the distance of it under norm load idk where there are tech nums but i might be able to search around for it in a manual
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rancho or Superlift sells helper leaf springs, I use them in all my trucks, they have soft ride long spring and reg ride short spring, all you would need are longer u bolts. They are in between sizes so they fit between the springs.

Quick Reply: Load capacity