Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Life span of 5.8 liter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life span of 5.8 liter

I just bought a 94 F150 with 214k on it. So far it seems to be running just fine. It looks like the previous owner was pretty good at routine maintenance. I was wondering, with good maintenance, how long would a 351w last before a rebuild is needed. I don't know what the oil consumption is yet, but I don't see any smoke and the engine does seem to be running good. Thanks Pierce
Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Looks like it's been averaging 15K / year over its life - so suspect a good deal of highway miles.

I don't know that 300K would be out of the question.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 PM

my bronco has a 351w in it with 260k on it and it still doesnt burn a drop of oil, however, it spun a rod bearing, but still runs good
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Looks like it's been averaging 15K / year over its life - so suspect a good deal of highway miles.

I don't know that 300K would be out of the question.

Yes, it does have highway miles on it. I know that the previous owner drove between Oak Harbor and Twisp WA. back and forth over the Cascade mountains here in Washington. Thanks for the reply guys!!! Pierce
Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 1996 F150 5.8L with 125,516 miles on it and she runs
like new.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 PM

This is the reason I joined this forum, was to ask the same question. I have a 94 extended cab short box 2wd with the 5.8 in it. I bought it in Nov of 02 with 123,263 miles on it. Super clean truck. It was a snowbird couple's truck that drove it to AZ every winter from here in Western Washington. I hate to say that I have "Beat" the truck, but I drive it very hard. Its my only rig, well besides my 62 Falcon S/W, but thats a summer car. I put on average 20K a year on it, and that is all in Kitsap County where I live. I now have 223017 on it. Ive done/used 3 sets of tires, 3 sets of front brakes,done ball joints, bearings, u-joints, shocks 2 times and normal tune up stuff. I was just wondering how many miles the 5.8's usually get out of them. I cant get a new 08 Super Duty like my dad just got! It does leak oil out the rear main seal, and leaks water from somewhere. Cant find it. Not a head gasket, or cracked head. No water in oil. Just can smell it when its running....
Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Vehicle has a lot of miles for its age - assuming the miles are mostly highway, that helps. Not knowing the degree to which the truck has been 'beat' on, hard to guess how much that hurts its lifespan. I trust you're following any 'severe duty' maintenance guidelines.

About all I can recommend is to watch and listen. When oil consumption goes way up (say, couple hundred miles or less per quart), or it begins to make knocking or slapping noises that sound deep in the block, not just lifter clatter, the end is somewhere in sight. Or, it could just crap out and throw a rod or the like without warning - who knows?

As to your water issue - the heater core is a sneaky leaker. Usually given away by the defroster coating the windows with the slimy glycol mist/film.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Most of the 100K I have put on it are all in town miles. I drive at most, 16 miles a day on the freeway. The rest are all in town. It has leaked water for about 3 months now. Just havent had much time to fix it, with the demo derby season wrapping up this month, I will have time. It does not spray any water thru the defrost or heater. It leaks out at the firewall. I was told last night that there is a little drain hose in the heater box for water run off for just in this case. So, I guess I gotta do a heater core pretty soon...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Not sure how much was changed during the 'refresh' of your 92-96 era compared to my 87-91 generation.

Mine is so easy, it's almost a joy to do - pop out the glovebox, the heater cover is right there. Spend about as much time rounding the tools up as actually replacing the core - if the hoses pop off easily.

Word of wisdom - don't get the cheapie core (~$27). Go ahead and get the good one (~$60). Prices may have gone up due since my last replacement to recent metal price hikes, but you get the idea.
The reason being is that I noticed the cheapie core had about 1/3 of the area blocked off in a way that I really had to look to see it. The heater didn't work as well, and more importantly, neither did the defrost. Fortunately(?), that core didn't last but a couple of years.

I was thinking the drain line is for the the A/C evaporator coil condensation, but I suppose if things are designed right, the heater core runoff could go out that line as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Oh I will get the good one, but at a cheap price. I work for Performance Radiator.

Quick Reply: Life span of 5.8 liter