Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Leveling question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling question

I am looking to level my '90 F150. I was wondering if the leveling coils from Rough Country are any good. My automotive instructor at my tech school said to be careful of cheap leveling kits as some don't have good quality metal. Are the Rough Country springs quality? And I only need coil springs on my 2wd F150 to get it leveled, correct? My last question is if I have the front end aligned properly will the front end shake at higher speeds? Currently my front end shakes at 65mph. I don't want to make it shake worse or shake at lower speeds if possible. It has always shaked/vibrated at 65 and above even after the alignment was done last time.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to hear some opinions on this too - I don't have 'the shakes' (Just about every other ailment, though...) but I'd like to know what the lift could/will cause to need attention. I've heard about alignment problems, bad ride quality, steering issues, etc.

I'd personally rather raise the front, but is it cheaper/easier to drop the rear?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The springs are probably fine. It's brackets, blocks and spacers that are sometimes of questionable quality. Just coil springs will level your truck. Aligning these trucks with this type of lift isn't an exact science. Because of the I-beams there is no adjustment of the angle the tire sits at. You know how the tires angle in at the top when these trucks are slammed to the ground, well raising it will angle them out at the top some. I'm sure the alignment shop would have told you if your steering and suspension parts and wheel bearings were bad, which would cause shaking. But not easily spotted to them would be the tires, make sure they are good and properly balanced. Belt separation will also cause shaking, but the tire usually peels shortly after belt separation.

It's just as easy to raise the front as it is to drop the rear. As far as cost, if you use spacers for the front, cheap. If you use springs for the front, more expensive. If you use shackles for the rear, cheap. If you use springs for the rear, more expensive. I've bought a set of universal drop shackles from AutoZone for about $20.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
mmmm.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are so many threads about this right now. i have a rough country leveling kit with dual steering stabilizers and i have no complaints so far.

Quick Reply: Leveling question