Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Ok guys need some help here. Came out to let the dog in and smelled gas, went to look and it's leaking from my back tank. Now can overfilling my gas tank cause it to leak like this? Or could there be something I need to worry about? It's steadily dripping right now and I'd like it to stop before I turn in. Might be simple, I might be an idiot but I'd like to know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking gas-image-3806884717.jpg   Leaking gas-image-815162112.jpg   Leaking gas-image-3989420194.jpg  

Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-25-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Absolutely no idea if it's normal and I'm not advocating you ignore a gas leak but..... Mine did the same thing when the rear tank was very full and I was parked nose down on my driveway. Kinda freaked out about it but it never happened again and I never smell gas. This was last December. Take that for what you will.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Well I knew my back tank was full by the gas pouring out of it at the station (first time I've put gas in this truck from a pump, oops) and while my driveway is nowhere near level in any direction it's towards the end so it could be nose down but it's hard to tell. I have half a barrel under there to catch it and it looks like the drips have slowed so I guess I'll see in the morning before I leave.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Not normal! I fill my tanks to the top of the fill hose and never had a leak. You need to start with removing the filler hose and probably replacing it to start with. If this does not cure the leak, then you need to remove the tank and probably replace it. I've dealt with rusted out tanks and the several I've dealt with were all rusted at the top from condensation inside the tank. I really can't say for sure on our trucks since neither of mine have had this problem, but I did have a fuel pump seal go bad on an atv gas tank and leaked. Very similar setup, in fact the same fuel pump as several of the chevy's I've dealt with.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my ranger. All it is, is a worn out gasket where the hose meets the tank. It would never happen for me unless I filled my tank all the way up. It didn't affect gas mileage and there weren't any problems. I just went from putting in the normal 60 in to fill my tank down to 55
Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Could be pooling there after leaking somewhere else, but more likely a bad sealing ring at the pump or the tank is rusted under the straps. It's definitely supposed to be a completely sealed unit. Even if the liquid gas stops leaking when the level gets lower, you will still have fumes escaping which creates a very high potential for explosion. Definitely needs to be fixed even if you don't see any gas dripping

Quick Reply: Leaking gas