Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Larry's List

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larry's List

Hows it going,

Below is our '91 5.8 4x4, we purchased it a few weeks ago having just moved to Vancouver from Ireland.

He comes complete with a rather long list of things to fix.

Apologies about the pictures, he'll be getting the full paint restoration treatment once i've gotten a little further thru the list, I'll get some nice photos in due course.

So far I've replaced the steering gear box, front discs and pads, the majority of the vacuum lines, drivers door lock actuator, exhaust manifold gaskets and had proper hangers welded in for the exhaust. It is running a hell of a lot smoother and more effieiently now compared to when we picked it up.

I have the necessary hardware for the E fan conversion but wanted to double check a few things here before I get busy on that;

On my coolant temp sensor i have two wires, one green, one grey, both returning to the ECU according to my wiring diagram, the grey has continuity to ground at all times, am I right to assume the green will ground when the sensor reaches its temp and closes? Assuming that is correct am i safe to use that as the control wire to my relays, or will it funk with the ECU?!

While i'm in there i want to remove the aircon and all traces of it, it's in need of a regas and i personally dont like aircon so its getting the chop. It will give more space in the bay, and free up airflow into my rad.
On previous vehicles i've owned i've removed ac entirely and just replaced the belt with a smaller suitable one, it doesn't look that simple here however due to the positioning of the compressor, is there any way to run the belt without the compressor in position? would i need to get a pulley made up? Or is there a part available?
Is there any sensors/vacuums that will get upset and in turn upset me if the ac system is removed?!

As the title suggests i've a long list of bits to do on this truck, the Efan is only the start of it! I have been studying my haynes manual nightly! I'll post updates and progress here as things dictate.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 AM
92XLT 5.0, 93XLT 5.0 4x4

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rockauto has a A/C bypass pulley for less than $30 U.S. plus shipping. Bolts in place of your A/C compressor and uses the standard belt. You can also probably get it through other parts suppliers.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=522&jpid=0

There are threads here about E-fan conversions, recommend getting a separate temperature controller, they can be found for about $30 and up, also at local parts suppliers.
Rockauto has these as well starting at $15 and up, look under the universal tools and parts tab +cooling system +cooling +cooling fan controller.
I wouldn't mess with the wiring to the coolant temp sensor, they are not a simple on/off system.
I don't think that removing the air system will hurt anything but I will let someone else confirm that. If anything it will reduce drag on the engine and help your gas mileage, as will adding the E-fan.

Nice looking truck!
Good luck!

Jerry

Last edited by J Beard; 09-30-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking truck.

I would have an easier time cutting off my left hand than trying to remove the air conditioning from my truck. Then again, I live in Texas.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting that you can take off the A/C and add that pulley to take up the slack. I'll be interested as well to where the fluids go and how those are going to get plugged. Also, would like to know what to do with the electrical connection. Just let it dangle?

Gonna keep an eye on this thread. I'm with you, I don't like AC that much (well, in my other car I do) but I'd rather try to get more MPG on mine. Doing a efan this weekend as well and I'll try to take pics
Old 09-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ericantonio
Interesting that you can take off the A/C and add that pulley to take up the slack. I'll be interested as well to where the fluids go and how those are going to get plugged. Also, would like to know what to do with the electrical connection. Just let it dangle?

Gonna keep an eye on this thread. I'm with you, I don't like AC that much (well, in my other car I do) but I'd rather try to get more MPG on mine. Doing a efan this weekend as well and I'll try to take pics

Yea I've removed a few ac systems over the years, all have been straightforward enough. I just wrap up electrical connectors out of the way and remove anything related to ac that's not critical!

Yea delighted with the quick replies here, I ordered the pulley last night! Away this weekend but next weekend it'll all be getting done.

Also have a similar idea for the air pump but I need to do a bit more reading up on that first!

Thanks,

Andy
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Éire150
Yea I've removed a few ac systems over the years, all have been straightforward enough. I just wrap up electrical connectors out of the way and remove anything related to ac that's not critical!

Andy
Great thanks! So that takes care of the power. Are there any tubes leading to it for freon? So once you take off the AC, besides wrapping up the electrical stuff...anything else? I can't seem to find videos on it. I see lots of videos of replacing just the clutch.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by J Beard
Rockauto has a A/C bypass pulley for less than $30 U.S. plus shipping. Bolts in place of your A/C compressor and uses the standard belt. You can also probably get it through other parts suppliers.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=522&jpid=0

Jerry
BTW, I wanna do this as well.

What to do with the AC condensor in front of the radiator? Would love to remove that too if I remove the AC Compressor. Would there be lines that need to be plugged up or just removed?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
92XLT 5.0, 93XLT 5.0 4x4

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have any freon left in your system it should be recovered as it is not ozone friendly or technically legal to just release. but if you are considering removing the system I am going to guess that it has already leaked out. The only thing left in the system may be a little bit of oil, not much though as most of it probably left with the freon.
You should then be able to just remove everything outside of the firewall, hoses, tubing, compressor etc... and cap off the lines that pass through the firewall. I would cap these off so road junk doesn't get into there, corrode the system parts that can't be easily removed and create a possible future water leak.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by J Beard
cap off the lines that pass through the firewall. I would cap these off so road junk doesn't get into there, corrode the system parts that can't be easily removed and create a possible future water leak.
Great advice re the old pipes, never thought of that. My system has been degassed so is ready to hack out, I'd imagine most garages could decommission one, or else you could do the old cut and run trick, but it's not advised!

Pulley should be here end of next week so aiming to get busy next weekend.

I've a few questions regarding the air pump, it's exact function, and if it's critical? I'd rather ditch it like the ac butI've never come across one before so thought I'd better check!

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The air pump helps keep the catalytic convertor working so just as well to leave it on. Plus the highways boys will look for a delete if they ever pull you over for a roadside looksee and the fines are huge. Probably not worth the delete, because you really don't gain much of anything as far as power and mileage go - it's a very low pressure pump.
As far as deleting a/c goes the only downside is that it won't defrost/ defog very well without the a/c (it pulls humidity out of the cab air).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Larry's List