Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Knocking noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise in engine

I am wondering about this clickingI have been hearing in my motor. It is kind of like a rapid ticking noise that is most noticable when the truck is first started up, and when decelerating. My truck also does not seem to like to keep a steady oil pressure. Some days it is normal, others it is less than normal. I run 5w30 through it (minnesota). I had the codes checked at an autozone and they told me I have a multiple random misfire. Just wondering if the two issues are related, and what part I may have to replace.

Oh, before I forget... The truck is a 1996 XLT with a 5.0L V8 and automatic transmission. Its a nice truck, but sat for two years and I am in the process of fixing it up and making it nice again. I need to replace the front end alignment parts as well as the suspension, but I wanna make sure the motor will last long enough to put the money into it. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 AM
I luvs my trucks

Sounds as if you are describing lifter rattle. The erratic oil pressure may be a pick up tube or oil pump. Check the pressure with a gauge and see how much it has.If it doesn't burn oil or smoke , you just may get away with an oil pump replacement. My truck has 210k on it. The lifters rattle when its time for an oil change. Make sure you have clean oil and it's full. I have a 96 XLT ext cab 4wd short bed. I love the ol' girl, I would say keep it and fix it up. Good luck.

Last edited by Rsnake460; 12-23-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 AM

The oil pressure senders crap out on a regular basis. I got in a panic with my old 94 bc I saw no oil pressure on the gauge and I hooked a manual gauge up and it was fine, I replaced the sender and away it went.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise in engine