Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Just bought a 96 Eddie Bauer

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 96 Eddie Bauer

I recently bought a 96 F150 regular cab short box. 302, 5 speed manual. It has 15x10 inch wheels and 31x10.5" tires on it and the speedometer is fairly inaccurate. Can anyone tell me how to recalibrate it? The owner's manual says it can be reset 6 times in the truck's life.

I believe there was a high altitude option, and I don't know what it included, but this vehicle was purchased new at a Colorado dealership and it's now in North Dakota. Does anyone know what this option included, or how to delete or recalibrate it? Just trying to improve fuel economy and thought it could be a contributing factor.

The third issue is that the truck has horrible looking straight pipe exhaust rigged up on it. It's made out of well pipe and plumbing fittings threaded together. It's welded to the cat, bolted to the frame, and has a single tail pipe coming out in front of the passenger side rear wheel. It isn't very loud at all though, which surprised me.

A local exhaust shop quoted me slightly over $300 to hook straight duals up to the cat with a Y pipe and run them out the back. With a single in, dual out muffler they quoted $365. Does this sound reasonable?
What sounds best on this truck?

Thank you for any input, I appreciate it!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grats and welcome. sounds fair enough for the exhaust job, and saves you from crawling under it. Do a search on here for speedo recalibrate, you will find it. Don't really know about the high alt option. PICS?????
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM

you recalibrate the speedometer through the obd II port, you can have it done, never priced it or buy a programmer, Im looking at a hypertech for 380.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Go with true duals. Get the quote and if its not that much more, it'll sound the best and perform the best.

If not, I'd go with the dual out muffler.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM

Since its OBDII, I would like to keep the cats and everything forward of them intact. So true duals probably isnt the best option.

Why do you recommend going with the dual out muffler over the Y pipe?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in a word space. If you keep it stock in front of the cat, the Y pipe connects the two manifolds to the cat. So it's already there. out of the cat a single pipe, to the muffler. Now here's where i differ from most. I would prefer a single 3" out if the cat. Duals just take up space and if your not running duals from the manifolds, (preferably headers) then your not gonna gain much. Your just looking to straighten and accelerate the exhaust gas from the cat back. On the same note, ideally, you should run headers, (on your truck not sure) I have 3 cats. I would replace them with high flow cats, duals down the same side with an X-pipe two mufflers then out. That's me I'm kinda old school with some things.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 AM

You can run true duals with cats, universal high flow cats aren't very expensive, Im looking at pacesetter long tube headers, magnaflow cats and mufflers, all the parts come to about $800

Quick Reply: Just bought a 96 Eddie Bauer